Importing components to LTSpice

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I need to simulate a circuit using AD8237, but this is not included in the LTSpice library. I did download the Spice model from the Analog Devices website, but the file type is .cir, while the existing models are .asy. When moving the -cir model in the library path, this is not being visible in the component selection list.

Can anyone please provide me with instructions on how to do this.

thanks in advance.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
There are several ways to go about importing 3rd-party models. Here's one way :-
Assuming you are running version LTspiceXV11 under Windows10 :-
1) Put the .cir/.mod/.sub model file in your .....User/Documents/LTspiceXV11/lib/sub folder.
2) Create a symbol for the opamp. You can let LTS auto-generate one, or you can clone and hack an existing one.
Going the auto-generate route :-
a) Create a blank schematic.
b) Click the 'Spice Directive' tool and copy/paste the entire contents of the .cir file into the drop-down box.
c) Use 'Hierarchy/Open this sheet's symbol /Yes' to create the symbol.
3) Save the symbol file (.asy) in your .....User/Documents/LTspiceXV11/lib/sym/opamps folder.

You can edit the attributes of the symbol file to specify the model file, so that you don't need to add an 'inc AD8237.cir' directive each time you use the model.

Last edited:

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
@Alec_t , thanks a lot for your reply. Apparently I am doing something (or everything) wrong. Please see my comments in red below.

1) Put the .cir/.mod/.sub model file in your .....User/Documents/LTspiceXV11/lib/sub folder.

Done
upload_2019-10-6_11-33-35.png
upload_2019-10-6_11-33-17.png

2) Create a symbol for the opamp. You can let LTS auto-generate one, or you can clone and hack an existing one.
Going the auto-generate route :-

To let LTS auto-generate one, should i just keep the schematic blank?

a) Create a blank schematic.

'New Schematic' button pressed

b) Click the 'Spice Directive' tool and copy/paste the entire contents of the .cir file into the drop-down box.

Here?
upload_2019-10-6_11-38-1.png

c) Use 'Hierarchy/Open this sheet's symbol /Yes' to create the symbol.

Am I missing something here?
upload_2019-10-6_11-40-46.png

3) Save the symbol file (.asy) in your .....User/Documents/LTspiceXV11/lib/sym/opamps folder.

You can edit the attributes of the symbol file to specify the model file, so that you don't need to add an 'inc AD8237.cir' directive each time you use the model

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi again,

I read several forums which state that the .cir should be changed to .lib
Did this, but the AD8237 is still not listed when searching the library
Any suggestions of what may we wrong?