Impedance Matching Transformer?

RJ31X

Joined Aug 20, 2014
I have a whole house music system, which requires, 25 ohm speakers. I have two blown outdoor speakers, which I would like to replace with Bose 151 4ohm speakers. Can I use an Impedance Matching Transformer? I have some experience, but need some advise on which one to use and how to basically connect it.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Interesting..... I could not find any one selling a 25 ohm speakers, nor any whole home music system that uses 25 ohm speakers. Are you sure it is a 25 ohm system?

Do your speakers have matching transformers built on them?

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
most house systems are 8 ohm configurations,, I am an automotive electric tech. and I have used transformers to change impedance in extreme situations.. although you do raise your impendance you sacrifice ALOT of power doing so.. are you able to series 2 8 ohm speakers per side to end up with 16 ohms,,series a third one in there and you get 24 ohms

RJ31X

Joined Aug 20, 2014
yes 25 ohm no matching transformer. the system is M&S Music & Sound they were bought out by Linear corp

RJ31X

Joined Aug 20, 2014
most house systems are 8 ohm configurations,, I am an automotive electric tech. and I have used transformers to change impedance in extreme situations.. although you do raise your impendance you sacrifice ALOT of power doing so.. are you able to series 2 8 ohm speakers per side to end up with 16 ohms,,series a third one in there and you get 24 ohms
Thanks for the reply. all reply's so far are telling me I do not know what I am writing. I have been doing electrical work for forty years. I hold a state contractors license, and I went to school for electronics, and I can build computers. I am not a genius, but I am also not stupid.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
We are not questioning what you are writing. But maybe what you are reading.:D 25 volt systems are often used for long runs from the amplifier and require a special amp. Kind of sounds like you.
Can you show a picture of the bad speaker that makes you think it is 25 ohm?

Try looking at Nu Tone speakers.

Last edited:

RJ31X

Joined Aug 20, 2014
We are not questioning what you are writing. But maybe what you are reading.:D 25 volt systems are often used for long runs from the amplifier and require a special amp. Kind of sounds like you.
Can you show a picture of the bad speaker that makes you think it is 25 ohm?

Try looking at Nu Tone speakers.
Nutone outdoor speakers are 45 ohm. I could connect two in parallel, but they are only weather resistant, not proof, which I need. Thanks anyway

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the system is an intercom system, those use special made high impedance speakers so they work as microphones. I dont know of a source for 24 to 4 ohm impedance transformers.
if you use a 25 volt audio transformer connected to the d25 watt tap, it will match 4 ohms to 25 ohms.