Immune Response on Encryption

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
A search on "Encryption" reveals 183 threads on the subject in this forum. Why all of a sudden is the moderating team locking threads based on the perceived intent of the encryption? Is it because there is immense pressure on companies to enable backdoors and on demand decryption? I don't really know, but I'd be interested in the rationale.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A search on "Encryption" reveals 183 threads on the subject in this forum. Why all of a sudden is the moderating team locking threads based on the perceived intent of the encryption? Is it because there is immense pressure on companies to enable backdoors and on demand decryption? I don't really know, but I'd be interested in the rationale.
Where do you see them locking the threads?
The first few I went to were not locked but simply included the "old post are you sure you want to necropost" warning

Makes NO sense to lock a thread just because it talks about encryption.. With the IOT party going on its VERY important as well as other security measures..

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry for being obscure, I was trying to have a discussion about encryption and the general policy of the forum owners and moderators on the subject. My point was that there was plenty of material on the forum about encryption, that had not raised a flag.

In response to a question on encrypted communication, I used an analogy to describe various levels of security based on the ability of various agents to decrypt those communications. I was not implying that there was a particular purpose to the encryption, only that national governments have substantially more resources than local ones. In the development of any device, as in most systems, defining your requirements is a basic first step.

To be clear, I have no problem with any topic being off limits, I just think the policy should be clearly defined and articulated.