I'm trying to figure out what this component is

Kwags

Joined May 31, 2018
It is the piece that has a round gold top on it. There are color bands like a resistor (but no luck serching under resistors ). The color bands are in this order, orange,black, orange and gold. Gold being on top.
Also while I'm asking, is the component in the middle of the picture a 1n4148 zener diode? I'm trying to make an adjustable cdi and I'm having trouble identifying some of the pieces. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Photo is cropped too tightly. I've never seen a 1 terminal resistor.

1N4148 is a signal diode.

What is a cdi?

Kwags

Joined May 31, 2018
It looks like a thermistor to me.
https://www.vishay.com/docs/29049/ntcle100.pdf
And the diode probably is a 1N4148.
Do you have a circuit for your CDI? I'm a bit confused in that you are trying to make something but don't know what the parts are. Is that because you are trying to modify an existing one?
I am trying to dupicate it but can't find any identifying marks on the one with the color bands.

DECELL

Joined Apr 23, 2018
Judging buy all the caps you are building a capacitive discharge ignition?
What do you want to vary and why no schematic?!

Kwags

Joined May 31, 2018
It is a capacitor discharge ignition for a motorized bike. There is one just like it in production but I feel like if I can identify all the parts it is not Beyond me to duplicate it. There is no programming everything is controlled by dip switches. The dip switches advance and retard the timing. I can't thank you enough I've been searching high and low for even a picture of that peace to no avail. There are a couple more components that I'm having a difficult time sourcing.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
CDI's that I have dealt with for model airplanes have two coils. One is of course the igntion coil. The other is used the up battery voltage to charge the capacitor to 100 to 200 V or so.

Does your model have that first coil and do you have the specifications for it?

Kwags

Joined May 31, 2018
The secondary charging unit you're talking about is a little different on a motorized bike which resembles a motorcycle when it comes to its spark circuit. The CDI creates an initial charge and stores it until the Magneto that spins around the crankshaft hits a contact point and the charges discharged into a coil which up's the voltage even further and sends it to the spark plug. Sorry for the run-on sentence. No I don't have the schematic for it. The coil itself is a prepackaged unit encapsulated with plastic. The CDI with the parts I was trying to identify is open it looks like it's easily duplicated. I don't have drawings for that either

Kwags

Joined May 31, 2018
It looks like a thermistor to me.
https://www.vishay.com/docs/29049/ntcle100.pdf
And the diode probably is a 1N4148.
Do you have a circuit for your CDI? I'm a bit confused in that you are trying to make something but don't know what the parts are. Is that because you are trying to modify an existing one?
The only identifying mark on the diode is 48. Sorry for the angle on the other piece it was the only of you I could get without disassembling something. I can't thank you enough.I do believe it has been identified. As for the CDI I'm trying to duplicate, I'm attempting to see if I can make it cheaper than I can buy it which is why I don't have any drawing sort