I'm looking for a prebuilt device.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I need a computer with a small 320x240 B&W or color display that has ethernet, USB and can take a laptop harddrive. Preferable is the smallest device I can get. Processor should be intel compatible and reasonably fast but I'd prefer fanless.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Are you effectively looking for an old laptop? Or is the 320x240 BW screen a necessity? Or is the size of a 10 year old laptop a problem?

Dave

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I have a pentium 90 laptop that would work but wanted something smaller. I don't need the keyboard, mouse or monitor for most uses. This will be a small file server I can carry with me and hook up to a network I'm working on. Having bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse, an external video port and wifi would be nice but I can make do with the USB port for the keyboard, mouse and wifi. In fact I doubt I'd need the mouse as it will run linux and normally be in text mode as a server. If the processor is fast enough I'd like to make some GUI apps for most of the things I'd want to do with it.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Could you not hack out the internals and make your own housing? It's a crude approach, but you could then have a look over at eBay for a small VDU.

I know this may be more hastle than its worth, but it may be the way you get most of what you need in your OP spec.

Dave

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Try VIA Nano-ITX motherboard range. The size is only 12cmx12cm, fanless, and they are PC compatible with the usual modern PC ports. You just need to find a small display, there are a lot to choose from, try searching for in-car display for 7" or 10" display. You'd need to make a custom case though, but it is not that big of a problem.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Try VIA Nano-ITX motherboard range. The size is only 12cmx12cm, fanless, and they are PC compatible with the usual modern PC ports. You just need to find a small display, there are a lot to choose from, try searching for in-car display for 7" or 10" display. You'd need to make a custom case though, but it is not that big of a problem.
Good call, I remember seeing this range about 2-3 years ago. Also has 802.11b wireless capabilities as an option on some implementations.

Dave

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for the tip. I considered gutting the laptop but its' pretty small as is and it is destined to be a wifi picture frame at some point.