I'm allowed only a 50 Amp service and I need AC

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
This is why I tell tcmtech to rejoice about not living in a big city.
Actually all you need is to know who is above who and how to talk to them politely about what their peons are doing.

I don't golf but my dad does and apparently he is golfing buddies with every person who has any degree of power in the area. If we need something done all we need to do is know our rights and what is legal and who to talk to that's above the immediate source of blockage.

Very few of those who are at the top want their sub idiots getting them and their departments in legal trouble because they don't know the actual legal ins and outs of the work they do to keep their jobs. ;)

I can't say much but a local city engineer and fire marshal got their pee pee's slapped pretty hard not to long ago for playing petty politics and holding things up with a local school system that turned out to not even being in their jurisdictions to mess with to begin with. I mean as a city engineer and fire marshal you should probably know what is inside the city limits and what is not right before you go tossing their weight around with a well liked and ran pubic school? :eek:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
all you need is to know who is above who and how to talk to them
Again. rejoice that you don't live in a big city.

There are 24 city jurisdictions in this county, and some unincorporated areas (county jurisdiction). That's 25 "building" departments in just one county, and that's a lot of bureaucracy to kiss in the right place!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Again. rejoice that you don't live in a big city.

There are 24 city jurisdictions in this county, and some unincorporated areas (county jurisdiction). That's 25 "building" departments in just one county, and that's a lot of bureaucracy to kiss in the right place!
Well as i have found out in the past the quickest way to get your way is to pull out the newest version of whatever rule book they use and point out the parts that show that what you are doing are correct then ask them to point out what parts they believe say other wise.

Strange thing I have noticed is how a brand new copy of the latest NEC code book is to licenced electricians is like a band new bible freshly blessed by the pope and still dripping with holy water is to the devil. Same with HVAC techs and any form of the most recent codes for them as well or any paperwork that shows the rules regulations or exemptions to such.

Also a city ordinance and or code reference book with a council members phone number attached to it and examples of businesses or other public places that are in violation/have unfair/undocumented exemptions of whatever they are trying to force on you seems to send certain people packing too. ;)

You don't have to be the king of the jungle to get your way. You just have to make them think you have a really painful sting and that you know where their most sensitive parts are. :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If I learn how to find the code that says, "It is not required to document jobs you aren't doing or things that don't exist and never will.", I might use your method.

My preference is to pretend to be invisible, rather than to educate government employees. When I absolutely can not avoid interacting with them, I let them think I am a stupid little peon who does what he is told. If you convince them enough, they eventually learn to sign off the job without getting out of their car, and that's about as good as it gets in a big city.