Ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
From a quickie experiment, it looks like it makes the ignoree's posts disappear completely, as well as any posts by anyone else which quote the ignoree. The only evidence that anything was there is a gap in the post numbering sequence.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks, I just wondered as I have seen a few post of mine where the content has virtually been repeated by a poster as though he not read/seen the one posted prior by me.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have observed the same behavior. But, I will occasionally see a post by someone on my ignore list with a big red box where the content would appear, with the message "You are ignoring posts by this user" (or something like that). I am unclear as to which format applies when?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is another side effect. If the Thread is mostly populated by Ignored people, the remaining posts don't make sense.
Then you go to the bottom of the page and click 'Show ignored content' (for this page), and the posts still don't make sense because it is a conversation among several people that already don't make sense.:D

I have seen a few posts of mine where the content has virtually been repeated by a poster as though he not read/seen the one posted prior by me.
I have seen that done by people that can obviously see my posts. First, I check to see if it was caused by a time overlap, then I wonder if they are just boosting their post count.:confused: Or maybe just a strong desire to participate, even if they have nothing new to say? When I would say the same thing as somebody before me, I just click, "like" to affirm their contribution.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So far I have not really seen a reason for using Ignore, but it gets a little irksome when you see your post repeated almost verbatim by obviously someone who appears not to have read it because of this, IF this is the cause.
It seems to me to be a bit of a flaw, I don't know of any other site that uses this option?
Max.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
You do not see any post by the member in the list. The thread exhibits logic holes, depending on the consistency of the contents and also shows an irregular numbering.

Eventually you could see a post by someone (not ignored by you) quoting a post by one yes in the list. Took me some time to get used to this last.

When in doubt the first I check is the numbering.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So what you are saying if I understand that the example in Post #3 will occur?
But If I am not using ignore the numbering will be correct, Correct?
Max.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
...it gets a little irksome when you see your post repeated almost verbatim by obviously someone who appears not to have read it because of this, IF this is the cause.
There seem to be a few people who don't bother reading the entire thread before posting an answer to the thread starter; and often as not, they give an answer almost identical to one which was given hours, sometimes days, before by someone else. My guess is this is what is happening, not anything to do with the ignore function.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There seem to be a few people who don't bother reading the entire thread before posting an answer to the thread starter; .
I agree that can happen, but I am wondering if there IS confusion caused by the ignore feature does it really serve any useful purpose?
If there is someone that you have no interest in participating in a thread with, why not just ignore them in your responses if needed?
If someone is following and responding to a thread and not seeing all answers because of an ignore list, it seems a little on the retrograde.
Just my 2¢
Max.

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
I've seen it used by some as retaliation to some "slight", usually happens after the First Party says something "snotty" the Second Party responds with a witty reply and the First Party responds with something along the lines of "having enough of their nonsense" and "you're going on my ignore list which is something I rarely do".

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think it came about because someone thought ignoring someone that makes your blood boil is easier than controlling your own urge to read their posts and possibly reply and give yourself a stroke.
I can only read the same post so may times in so many different Threads before the joke gets old. A few dozen more of the same post and I begin to worry about the poster's sanity. A few dozen after that, I begin to feel concern for my own sanity.

That is definitely time to click the Ignore button.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've seen it used by some as retaliation to some "slight", usually happens after the First Party says something "snotty" the Second Party responds with a witty reply and the First Party responds with something along the lines of "having enough of their nonsense" and "you're going on my ignore list which is something I rarely do".
I think Joey has put ronv on his ignore list once a week as long as I can remember. He claims to click ignore but rarely gets around to actually clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.