IGBT module speed explanation

Perwin CZ

Joined May 8, 2017
Hello,
could anybody explain me what the speed of IGBT in the datasheet of VS-GP250SA60S (link) means?
There is: "DC to 1 kHz" - but what does it mean? Does it mean that the IGBT module can't operate in higher frequencies than 1 kHz? And what is the "DC" there - duty cycle??

I don't understand it because values of turn-on delay time, turn-off delay time, rise time and fall time give together 300+515+85+450 = 1350 ns, which should give maximum speed around 740.7 kHz.
I would like to use this or similar module for induction heating where the operation frequencies are around 70 kHz so I need to be sure (it is pretty expensive...).

Thank you very much for your replies.

Perwin CZ

Joined May 8, 2017
I have read the document and it is useful, but I don't understand how I should calculate max switching frequency for that IGBT module I posted, or if I should stick with the 1 kHz value from the datasheet and find another (faster) module.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,
could anybody explain me what the speed of IGBT in the datasheet of VS-GP250SA60S (link) means?
There is: "DC to 1 kHz" - but what does it mean? Does it mean that the IGBT module can't operate in higher frequencies than 1 kHz? And what is the "DC" there - duty cycle??

I don't understand it because values of turn-on delay time, turn-off delay time, rise time and fall time give together 300+515+85+450 = 1350 ns, which should give maximum speed around 740.7 kHz.
I would like to use this or similar module for induction heating where the operation frequencies are around 70 kHz so I need to be sure (it is pretty expensive...).

Thank you very much for your replies.
An IGBT is basically a hybrid Szicklai pair - a MOSFET driving an emitter follower. Emitter follower is the slowest of the 3 configurations.

But it should do a *LOT* better than 1kHz. You might want to start thinking of straight MOSFETs somewhere around 35kHz.

IGBTs were developed for the VCEsat of a BJT when the RDSon of early MOSFETs wasn't much good.

Modern MOSFETs are much better - its worth a good look at whether you actually gain anything using IGBTs.