If I read the textbook....I will be able to...

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
If I read the textbook
Microelectronic Circuits
International Student Edition including CD-ROM
Fifth Edition sedra/smith
I will be able to analyze/design small radio transmitters/receivers(all parts) ? what else ?

billbehen

Joined May 10, 2006
RF circuits are very very tricky & you will have better luck if you get someone with experience to help you. Check the Table of Contents before ordering to see if Radio Frequency design is included!

lse123

Joined Oct 17, 2006
I AM CURRENTLY READING Microelectronic Circuits
Without difficulty , what course / text I must complete/read after this, in electronics, towards complete electronics enginnering background ?

Dragon

Joined Sep 25, 2007
I will be able to analyze/design small radio transmitters/receivers(all parts) ? what else ?
Sedra/Smith is the bible of electronics engineering:rolleyes: It takes you from scratch to an advanced circuit designing stage. I have studied the whole book in 3 semesters in my engineering degree.

It takes time, patience, practice and above all passion for learning to get where you want to.

You might want to go through advanced power supply designing procedures as well once you have gained confidence in your initial study. Additionally,try reading:
Modern Digital and Analog Communication by B.P Lathi
POWER ELECTRONICS by M.H Rashid

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If I read the textbook
Microelectronic Circuits
Sedra and Smith is an essential text to work through in any budding engineers early education. Version 5 has brought this well-respected text up to speed with modern technologies, for example it has embraced CMOS technology and is now a text I widely recommend for this subject. I also recommend Art of Electronics for its conceptual approach to electronics including what not to do.

My advice to you with Sedra and Smith is try to build some of the circuits yourself and then look at the corresponding sections in Art and try and modify the circuits based on the advice in there - it is amazing what you will learn. The ultimate way to learn is to do.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Nice info Dave. Would you please name the author of Art of Electronics?
Paul Horowitz and Winfred Hill. The book is quite old in terms of electronics, last revised in 1989, however the fundamentals are delt with in the utmost detail. The idea of the "art" of electronics is that it deals with just that - the artist or conceptual side of it. It is the engineering bible without bogging you down in the mathematics of electronics circuits.

Particularly, Art tackles good and bad practice and this is something that is all but missing from other texts on this subject.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
There is a student manual that accompanies the "Art of Electronics". Both can be bought at Amazon.com

You can see more about the "Art of Electronics" at http://www.artofelectronics.com/
Actually that reminds me, don't confuse the actual Art of Electronics textbook with the student manual - a colleague of mine did this thinking he'd got Art at a bargain price of £25 compared to the normal retail price of £55. That said the student manual is a recommended accompaniment to the textbook if you can afford them both.

Dave

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
There are some bargains out there at Amazon and half.com

One needs to look and the old adage ... let the buyer beware, certainly applies.

I've certainly erred and got two of the same books ... by Millman.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
There are some bargains out there at Amazon and half.com

One needs to look and the old adage ... let the buyer beware, certainly applies.

I've certainly erred and got two of the same books ... by Millman.
Joe, I'm risk adverse with things like this - I'd rather pay a little bit more for something I know I'm getting. I do however find that Amazon is the best bet for any kind of tech books that may be required.

Dave

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I usually depend solely on the ISBN number before I buy ... but the age of the book precluded that. No big deal since it was under 10 bucks total.

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
After you've learned Basic Electronics...
One book I would recommend is
Secrets Of RF Circuit Design
Written by Joseph J Carr
Published by McGraw Hill

I have not tried to build the circuits in the book, so I can't comment on any possible errors. But I like the explanations given.