Idiot with circuits, Genius with ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConstructionK88

Joined Jul 25, 2018
Providing a good quality product, not just a bunch of features, will usually sell if it satisfies a requirement that people have. In general, quality is not something that can be patented, it has to be designed in and then built in. Unfortunately many confuse quality with features, and when I ask about product quality they start to recite a list of features, and then when I ask about how long a product will last they want to tell me all about their service plans. BlueTooth speakers, amps, and wood enclosures could probably sell for even more in some venues. I do not recall ever seeing computer speakers in wood boxes, nor with higher powered amplifiers.
See those are things I know how to do. Even I can copy a schematic and make it work but that does little to teach. I want to learn circuitry, not just copy what works. I can easily sell small specialty speaker systems I'd I'd be happy doing it but of course I'd prefer to do more. Also I have contemplated the PC speaker system amp in wood but that would be a more personal project. Not sure if there a market. Though true about quality. Cost rarely represent's quality. That part I'll have trouble with, figuring out how and for how much to sell any of it for. I suspect doing any of it just to prove it can be done is a start. Even if I don't perfect it then surely another can.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I'm curious. Is there anybody in the the vast AAC universe that has had ANY kind of positive interaction with patents that they have applied for as an individual? I have two that were filed by and granted and granted to corporations that employed me. Never saw so much as a nickel. Not even a plaque. They are as worthless as screen doors on attack submarines.
I do have one for a means to detect injector priming on a diesel engine in a test stand. It works but the customer never purchased it because they say that was never a problem. So I did get $5 for it. The big benefit it gets me is it looks good on a resume. And I wrote the claims for another patent while at another employer, which gave me a good amount of useful experience, since I learned a lot about claims writing from that. It also looks good on a resume. Usually the patent is only valuable if others want the product or want to license the invention. OR if one is a troll and makes a living by suing others.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I do have one for a means to detect injector priming on a diesel engine in a test stand. It works but the customer never purchased it because they say that was never a problem. So I did get $5 for it. The big benefit it gets me is it looks good on a resume. And I wrote the claims for another patent while at another employer, which gave me a good amount of useful experience, since I learned a lot about claims writing from that. It also looks good on a resume. Usually the patent is only valuable if others want the product or want to license the invention. OR if one is a troll and makes a living by suing others.
Well $5 is flyspecs in the pepper compared to what I was actually paid to do the work so I guess we in approximately the same boat. I guess my definition of a useful ROI would be about $10,000 in royalties or payments after amortizing filing costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.