Idiot wants to know stuff about using electricity

michele stone

Joined Aug 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

Very new to all this, very new, not even enough knowledge to be dangerous at this point, first few steps along a very long road...... and have a question relating to a small PIR sensor that i have, they are designed for Arduino i think and rated at a working voltage range :DC 4.5-20V, which is fine as i'll be using a 12V battery to run it, but the Level output is High 3.3 V /Low 0V, so am i right to think that input is 12V but it will only supply 3.3V to whatever circuit that its a part off ?

It will run in my garage to turn some LED lights on when i'm in there pottering about and to turn them off when there is no activity, i use 12V PIR sensors outside like these that are purpose built for what i want but they are very bulky and these small PIR sensors are very discreet and i have them for some reason, not sure why.....

the datasheet for these are attached, could someone have a look and see if they are fit for purpose ? or should i get some other PIR like these one's ?

Many Thanks
Shaune.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi ms,
Welcome to AAC.
That range of PIR's will work from 4.5v thru 20v, but the output voltage is either 0v or +3v.
ie: when activated its 3Vout.
Adjust the S pot for Sensitivity and T for the Activated ON time.
E
BTW: If your Arduino is powered from 5v, you can use an Analog input pin to detect 0v or 3v.