Identifying the part value

imraneesa

Joined Dec 18, 2014
I am attaching the image of the item. I think it is tantalum capacitor but I want to know the value. Top line has 100 and bottom line has 6c. And can I replace it with electrolytic capacitor? Thank you.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And can I replace it with electrolytic capacitor?
If you're correct that it's a tantalum, then I'd say no to replacing it with anything else. Tantalums are relatively expensive and it would be unusual for the designer to choose one if they didn't have to.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I the cap shorted, or why do you think it is faulty?
I would try a 10uF tantalum capacitor there. I rarely use electrolytic caps in my board designs, except for bulk power. They are generally pretty reliable, so as above, don't replace with en electro cap.
Get one of these for testing...
ComponentTester.jpg

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I had written a response earlier, but deleted it because I could not verify the markings (just in case the TS noticed). My best guess is a 100 uF, 6 V tantalum.

There are other possibilities. Some tantalums are marked in uF; others are marked in pF + a multiplier. "100" could mean 10 pF x10^0 or 10 pF, which I considered extremely unlikely, or maybe 10 uF x 10^0 = 10 uF, which is also likely.

The "6c" could be a date code, e.g., a Vishay would mean 6th month of the "c" year, which as I recall has two possibilities. However, Vishay also puts a manufacturer code. Again, since I have not seen tantalum that did not have a voltage rating on it, I assumed 6 volts. The "c" could be a temperature or tolerance.

I would recommend measuring its capacitance. If it is 10 uF or 100 uF, then the rest falls into place.

Finally, tantalums are considered electrolytic capacitors, but since it is solid, the bar denotes the + end.