identifying problem with vacuum PCB - not running brush motor

Neslon Lord

Joined Jul 18, 2015
Hi,

I've gotten really interested in electronics since taking on this project of fixing the Dyson DC15, and my neighbour electrician diagnosed it to be the PCB that wasn't work. But I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or tell me what I'm meant to look out for in order to diagnose which part of the PCB that isn't working.

The main problem is that no power is going from the PCB to the brushmotor - that is, it's meant to spin when activated by a switch near the On/Power button.

I've tested the traces and they seem like they're not broken. And I've tested the Diodes and they don't seem to be burnout either - they report back .577-.591 on my multimeter (set to diode test).

Other than that though, I have no idea what else to check.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Image of the PCB: http://i.imgur.com/ILHlFl9.jpg

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That guy that's bolted to the wall carries all the power. The rest is brains. Percentages say its the part that gets hot that fails. Read its part number.

mosfet. Something N60 maybe.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I agree with #12, the mosfet from what I can read is a 13N50 which is a N ch 500V 13A dc. This is worth checking & also that there are no dry solder joints. The board is not expensive at $35 for part DY-909512-01.

Neslon Lord

Joined Jul 18, 2015
Thanks very much, both of you. TIL what a mosfet was! I'm in Australia so I was trying to find a cheap way of fixing it - and to learn about electronics. The PCB's quite expensive when converted to AUD, though I guess it's still cheaper than buying a whole new vacuum. Turns out also that the mosfet, plus shipping, is almost as expensive as the PCB, so I've gone and ordered the PCB.

Hopefully that will be the last thing to fix on the vacuum, and I can move on to another project :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Have you any info on the type of motor PM or wound field?
As it is very unusual to control the normal vacuum (series) motor by PWM?
Max.

Neslon Lord

Joined Jul 18, 2015
This one is NOT the right motor:

The Dyson model uses a digital pulse, coursing through electromagnets, to propel a magnetic rotor, which can reach up to 120,000 rpm. http://www.wired.com/2014/01/dysons-new-vacuum-motor-spur-cordless-revolution/

The photo is the right motor...for what it's worth.
Any search for what the motor is leads to, "Here is where to send your money to get somebody else to repair it".
The motor works fine because I can use the hose to vacuum.