Identify component on circuit board.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by MountainGuy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MountainGuy

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Can anyone give me a guess as to what this component is ? It doesn't have any markings on it. Any way to determine the values if it's a capacitor or resistor ? Thanks.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Looks like a semi with blanked out part No.
    Or could be a a OEM part.
    What is the board notation?
    Max.

3. MountainGuy

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2017
    There is no board notation. It has 6 legs and only 4 are hooked up. Thanks.

4. Kjeldgaard

Apr 7, 2016
    Some optocouplers are in white enclosure.

But to get further, we need to see pictures both directly from above and from the solder side.

5. MountainGuy

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Here are photo's sorry for the quality.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Generally in these circumstances it is very difficult without doing a little reverse-engineering on the relation with other components and parts of the circuit to get a feel for what the component actually is.
    I concur that many 6 pin IC's in white are opto couplers as in Fairchild examples.
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Useless.:(
    Like Max said, tracing out the circuit will tell you what it is, if you're good at this.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Get some rubbing alcohol and wipe off the black cover. You might find the marking underneath.

9. MountainGuy

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I was just trying to get an idea of what type of component it was so I could evaluate it in context of the circuit. two of the legs are not connected and two are tied to ground. One goes through a capacitor to pin 2 of a 555 timer. The other goes through a resistor to a wire. I know this probably doesn't help much, but looking at whatever was suggested will help me. I was thinking it might be a opto.

10. MountainGuy

Thread Starter Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I'll try that.

11. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    If it is in the power supply circuit (big capacitor(s), transformers/chokes, and rectifiers) there is a good chance it is an optical isolator. If it is, I am unimpressed with the creepage distance.