Identifing the function of transformer cables (could be taps) shown on the pictures

fektom

Joined Aug 20, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have seen a huge tranformer when I was working as a transformer cleaner. This tranformer was quite unusual, because one of its side had many connections I couldn't recognize what is it for. I want to understand what was the function of them.

On the first picture you can see the whole transformer with its dangerous connection terminals. The cables in question are connected to the tranformer at the yellow stickers with numbers. They seem to me like taps on the transformer, described on http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-9/winding-configurations/ However, I just don't understand why this side has taps. I think this is the higher voltage side. Why people would like to gain more voltage levels on the higher voltage side? If these are a taps, what could be the function of getting different levels of very high voltages?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Those anti-corona shields would maybe indicate this is a very high voltage transformer.
Transformers often have taps on both primary and secondary.
Job to make out what those green boards function are?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
what could be the function of getting different levels of very high voltages?
All you can know with nothing but a transformer to look at is; It was built for a reason. The best way to discover the purpose is to ask the person who designed it or installed it. Second best is to look at where it is installed and what device it is serving. Without that kind of help, you are limited to measuring how it works, and this one seems rather dangerous. On a personal level, I wouldn't want you to risk your safety just for curiosity. You will meet lots of transformers over the years. This one looks cool, but it also looks like it could kill you.;)

fektom

Joined Aug 20, 2012
I just work as an electrician and feel stupid because I couldn't recognise that part of the tranformer. Next time I see a huge transformer like this, I want to know more than last time. I'm always curious and want to know more. That's why I was asking.
Next time I should talk with the local electrician team...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Part of the problem is, "How huge is it?"
From your photos, I can't tell if those are 6-32 bolts or 1/2 inch carriage bolts.
I do kind of get the idea that I'm looking at two by fours, not pop-sickle sticks, but what size are they, really?
Are those wires 10 gauge or 250KCM?