Ideas for a Microcontroller PIC 18F4685 Project.?

luke.lueders

Joined Apr 3, 2022
Hello, looking for inspiration for a microcontroller project.

Low-level type of project that uses a couple of different types of special functions

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Is this just to get some experience?
A Google search should bring up many examples, many of the 18F series are similar and translate over .
There is the A/D, USART, or a clock using a 32khz crystal etc.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are a lot of new commands in the 18F series,
One interesting addition is the Table Operations for reading and writing the contents of a table or list.
Two TBLRD and four TBLWRT instructions. to cover the incr-decr through the table.
Some other nice additions:
CPFSEQ
CPFSGT
CPFSLT
TSTFSZ
DCFSNZ
INFSNZ
MULWF
MULLW
Just for a few.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I am not clear as to what you require. Do you want a project that someone else has designed or do you want suggestions for a project that you want to build yourself ? If you just want a suggestion for a project you could monitor a battery voltage (For example while charging.) and convert the ADC readings to text messages and send them to a PC running a terminal emulator via the EUSART . A timer module could also be used to send the messages at some fixed interval. I built something like this several years ago using a PIC12F1840.

Les.

luke.lueders

Joined Apr 3, 2022
I am not clear as to what you require. Do you want a project that someone else has designed or do you want suggestions for a project that you want to build yourself ? If you just want a suggestion for a project you could monitor a battery voltage (For example while charging.) and convert the ADC readings to text messages and send them to a PC running a terminal emulator via the EUSART . A timer module could also be used to send the messages at some fixed interval. I built something like this several years ago using a PIC12F1840.

Les.
Looking to create a project myself but having a difficult time with coming up with one. Thank you for your input anything helps!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
If the OP asks for ideas based on the 18F family, I suppose he should start with some simple project using one or two of their characteristic functions as Max suggested.

1 - applying table write / reading to three different blocks of program memory.

2 - Clean one of them.

3 - Swap the contents of the other two.

4 - Show the three on your display of choice.

Keep in mind: whatever you do, follow the rule: divide and conquer. Progressive testing must be satisfactory before moving on.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you can’t think of anything that would use it, why di you want to learn it?

Get a WS2812B strip and have sime fun doing patterns.

Bob

rpiloverbd

Joined Dec 21, 2021
As a basic project, you can make a line follower robot with PIC 18F4685. This tutorial shows how to make a line follower using PIC microcontroller. It does not use the same chip that you're using. But the algorithm and working principle are the same. If you want to add motor speed control option to your robot, you have to know how to control motor's speed with PIC microcontroller. This article may help you in this regard.