(idea to reality) small buggy car to find a transmitting signal

isakiwanuka

Joined Jan 28, 2012
HELLO TO ALL READERS

thank you first all for taking time to read.

i have a project to do next year for my last year of electronics degree

i want a head start as i have good equipment at home

my idea is to build a buggy car with 3 wheels and 2 motors ..i want the car also to detect when it is next to walls and objects so it doesn't crush into them.

i then want the buggy car to be able to find the transmitting signal which could be placed in a different room and the buggy car to find it .

i know i will need to use sensors and motors and a transmitter and receiver

i don't want to control the buggy car i just want it to find the transmitting signal.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK AND ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN MAKE THIS IDEA REAL ...EG SENSORS THAT I CAN USE , TRANSMITTER/ RECEIVER CIRCUITS OR OTHER WAYS THE BUGGY CAN FIND THE SIGNAL

I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
HELLO TO ALL READERS

thank you first all for taking time to read.

i have a project to do next year for my last year of electronics degree

i want a head start as i have good equipment at home

my idea is to build a buggy car with 3 wheels and 2 motors ..i want the car also to detect when it is next to walls and objects so it doesn't crush into them.

i then want the buggy car to be able to find the transmitting signal which could be placed in a different room and the buggy car to find it .

i know i will need to use sensors and motors and a transmitter and receiver

i don't want to control the buggy car i just want it to find the transmitting signal.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK AND ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN MAKE THIS IDEA REAL ...EG SENSORS THAT I CAN USE , TRANSMITTER/ RECEIVER CIRCUITS OR OTHER WAYS THE BUGGY CAN FIND THE SIGNAL

I WOULD APPRECIATE THE HELP

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

I would work on the buggy car not hitting walls portion before I get into wireless communications.

Look into ultrasonic sensors and infrared sensors:
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/92/Default.aspx
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/242

Also, read this book cover to cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Embedded-Systems-PIC-Microcontrollers/dp/0750667559

It is 99% of what you want to build.

isakiwanuka

Joined Jan 28, 2012
thank you

yu are right as i plane to build the buggy first den deal with it not been able to hit the wall

i was wondering is der any other way besides wireless were i can get da bugy to find the transmitting signal by itself.

and i will defo be buying dat book thank you

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
thank you

yu are right as i plane to build the buggy first den deal with it not been able to hit the wall

i was wondering is der any other way besides wireless were i can get da bugy to find the transmitting signal by itself.

and i will defo be buying dat book thank you
The issue with a buggy finding a wireless signal (electromagnetic radiation) is that E-M radiation radiates in all directions (basically) from an antenna. Depending upon what frequency the radiation is, it could be made more directional or less, but in either case, it is complicated.

Perhaps your buggy could seek out a lit candle or infrared LED radiation? You could program it to continue to look around until it sees a strong enough heat signature to satisfy the device.

Alternatively, you could tell it to listen for an ultrasonic noise, such as a pulse. It could then follow the signal and know it's getting closer as the sound gets louder..?