IDE - Zif to 1.8/2.5" IDE connector, can it be used in reverse?

kiiwii

Joined Dec 14, 2019
So this is a fairly "simple" project I've been trying to finish for a long time.

Basically, I have an old HD HandyCam that used a small 1.8" IDE Zif drive. I've removed that a while ago because it was tediously slow to copy 60GB of video files over USB2.0.

I've tried many methods of connecting an SD card reader to 2.5" IDE adapter to the internal Zif connector, none have succeeded, mainly due to the fact that all the various adapters I have collected and tried to pair together all have male 2.5" IDE connectors.

The most recent adapter that I got, which is simply a male 2.5" IDE to Zif adapter... I had hoped that it may have used just straight passthrough of the signal but I guess it uses some diodes to prevent voltage flowing in the wrong direction.

Here's a picture of it:
s-l300.jpg
So far in testing only the green light will blink for data access but the red power light will stay off and the HandyCam will just spin on an access screen.

So, I was wondering if it is a diode that's preventing power and if so, can I just remove it since I'm not sure if the SD card to IDE adapter would short anything?

Alternatively, is there anything else I need to do to this adapter to make it work in reverse? Or is it just not possible.

Sorry in advance if this question doesn't belong in this forum. Thanks for any advice!

kiiwii

Joined Dec 14, 2019
Hi again,

Since no one replied, I thought I would provide more info in the form of some pictures and my plans...

ZifAdapter.jpg

So basically my plan is to desolder the diode outlined in red and then solder the pins together. I basically want the Zif to IDE adapter to work as a straight pass through. Don't know if I need to remove the LEDs and resistor too or the voltage regulator?

As you can see from the pictures, I've got an SD card to IDE adapter connected to an IDE cable that I'll attach the IDE to Zif adapter to and then the Zif cable to the HandyCam.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!ZifAdapter.jpg

kiiwii

Joined Dec 14, 2019
Ok, so a bit of an update, I removed the diode... which was probably pointless as it made no difference and wasn't blocking current flow but was connected to ground.

I then removed the 3.3V linear voltage regulator and soldered the voltage passthrough pads together.

This time both the data access light on the zif/IDE card and the SD/IDE card turned on and noticed the power light on the SD/IDE card was faintly on too.

Again camera still didn't recognise the SD card. But I noticed the SD/IDE card also has a 3.3V regulator, and I checked the camera and it's only supplying just under 3.3V anyway so I guess next step will be to remove that too.

If you think there's a better way etc, please let me know, cheers.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That "diode" seems to be labeled "10" in top line and "16V" under that. Very blurred. If that is the case, then it is more likely a tantalum capacitor of 10 uF and 16V max rating. I suspect it had some purpose related to the linear regulator (they often have capacitors on input and output). Since you have removed that regulator, that function is moot.

Voltage regulators can be used to filter noise. Unless the other regulator is causing a problem, why remove it?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m really surprised at your decision to remove the voltage regulators. They usually serve a purpose.

If you run out of gas, do you remove the gas tank?

Do you have a compressor or water pump? Both have regulators. Because without them, the connected devices will fail. Too high an air pressure will blow out the cylinder in the tool. Too high water pressure, will blow out the pump in a dishwasher or the seals in a faucet or the flush valve in a toilet.

Voltage regulators require a higher voltage to output the desired voltage. If you remove a voltage regulator, you risk blowing up components in the powered device with too much voltage.

Your definition of your hookup is confusing. Can you attach a block diagram? I’m concerned that the protocols used in each device are incompatible.

SD cards readers usually use the SPI protocol, but other protocols may also be used.

You’re replacing a 1.5” IDE HD.

I find it unlikely that you can connect (successfully) an IDE controller with an SPI (or other) device with just a cable.

I could be wrong, as that was my first impression. A block diagram would help clarify matters.

kiiwii

Joined Dec 14, 2019
The video camera already supplies 3.3V as I mentioned before. Voltage regulators need a buffer greater than that so they are not helping and I doubt the camera would supply an unclean voltage.

The 3.3V regulators were there because I believe IDE PATA usually sends 5V.

In any case I've removed both voltage regulators, I've also removed the LEDs from the Zif/IDE adapter, which ideally should just act as a straight passthrough, but for some reason still does not. The data access light on the SD/IDE adapter just stays lit the whole time.

Just to be clear djsfantasi, the SD/IDE adapter is designed to work transparently as a 2.5" 44 pin IDE hard disk.

Something's still not right with the Zif/IDE adapter, I've checked every pin's path from PATA to Zif using pinout sheets I found and don't notice anything missing.

I noticed on the original Zif HDD that came with the camera that says it's 3.3V 500mA, I wonder if the SD/IDE adapter requires more than 500mA? Since I guess regular IDE at 2.5"/44-pin would be an amp?