IDE for ATMega328

scelesticsiva

Joined Nov 29, 2013
I know its a daunting task to develop an IDE all by myself for a microprocessor, but still if i want to develop one, where can i start? I am pretty familiar with .NET!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I know its a daunting task to develop an IDE all by myself for a microprocessor, but still if i want to develop one, where can i start? I am pretty familiar with .NET!
in a nutshell- forget about it. Over the decades I saw countless homegrown IDEs, few good or even useful and after some years, they becomes pieces of obscurity.

2. Its not a microprocessor. Its a Microcontroller.

Its not a lone fighter job nowadays such software is programmed in larger teams or you dont get anywhere, not to speak to remove the bugs, documentate and make it really useful.

First you need to understand exactly what you want to program and "IDE" is just wishy washy.
you need a writeup of 3o pages or so before starting to code.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I tried once to write an assembler, but when I saw how much effort it would take to do it properly, and what I would gain in the end, I did abandon it.

Yet, I had transposed all the opcodes with their possible variants into a table (basically bitfields which addressing modes/registers are permitted for each opcode).

Then I started with the source code parser.

I realized I would have to maintain two large microcode tables- one for the opcode variant encodings, another for the source code parser.

Kindof intellisense, each time it looks at another character, fewer and fewer possibilities remain.

I wasnt too inclined to develope it further, as I saw in the end it wouldnt be too much useful besides to be able to assemble large sources lightening fast.

I spent weeks on it I think, at first, refining the format of the opcode variant encoding table.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You should always start any project by listing of what problem you are attempting to solve and how you can do it better. Then, list possible approaches and determine their feasibility. Third, define the interface. What should the GUI look like? Then, start coding for that, baking in the features and capabilities you are looking for.

A very basic IDE should be pretty easy, actually. Essentially, you just need to make files, figure out how to store them, and pass them to a compiler.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Do you you use OOP (Object Orientated Programming) -- in .net?

I have noticed that many coders do not use methods and classes, polymorphism and inheritance when they code in MS .net Really defeats the purpose of .net to begin with...