ID PC Motherboard Component for JTouch

frostyfree

Joined May 24, 2017
I'm working on my personal PC Motherboard from a Dell Inspiron 15R-5521 Laptop (5YGGX, LA-910P, AA171). This came without a JTouch surface mounted connector that controls the touch screen on my laptop. I attached pictures here from a failed attempt to remove the connector from a scrap motherboard and the ribbon connector itself. Please help me ID the black female connector seen destroyed on the first two images (there's also the male cable connector and the actual area this will go on the motherboard labeled JTouch):1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

This is a 6-pin connector with rough dimensions off 9mm x 4mm, pitch is probably .8mm.

I know the pitch is not 1mm because I already purchased what I thought would be a good replacement only to find it was way too long and tall and the pitch was off: JST-SH with 1mm pitch, I learned about pitch on my quest for a replacement.

When I was poking around other junk motherboards, I found a camera PC Board that came off an Acer Aspire One. It has a similar connector style as the one I'm looking for, unfortunately, it was a 5-pin connector, not a six. The top of the black connector says "B" on one side and "JXT" on the other.
A.jpg A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg

Thank you for viewing this request, I look forward to your responses.

frostyfree

Joined May 24, 2017
I found schematics for this section I'm working on.
LA9104P_Schematics.png

The connector part number is ACES_88460-00601-P01. I'm guessing ACES is a brand name not a type of connector? When I did a Google search, using criteria I forgot, I found the following:
http://www.datasheets360.com/search/results?query=88460-0601
The company is called Aces Electronic Co., Ltd., so I have the part no, the company that potential made it, but no name or a way of ordering a small batch of 3 to 5 pieces of the connector to solder onto the motherboard.

frostyfree

Joined May 24, 2017
I don't really get a match for the part number ACES_88460-00601-P01, but I did find 88460-0601H01 and looked into its description: HEADER CONNECTOR,PCB MNT,RECEPT,6 CONTACTS,PIN,0.031 PITCH,SURFACE MOUNT TERMINAL,LOCKING,BLACK

So the part ID would be a Header Connector, now I have to find where I can buy this part and if there's a part number that supersedes the ACES_88460-00601-P01?

Update: I googled ACES 88460-00601P01 and I was led to this document
http://www.acesconn.com/userfiles/fSPEC/SPEC-88460-xxxxx rev-P.pdf
There's no picture of the female connector, but there's a drawing of the male connector. I think my best bet is to contact the actual company and ask if there's a newer part number for that type of connector.

frostyfree

Joined May 24, 2017
I've contacted the company through their US site but no reply to my e-mail. I also requested quotes from some electronic component companies that say they can get you rare parts, but all I got in reply was a constant commercial bragging from the president and random sales people writing that "we specialize in finding rare parts." I guess I should give them all a call and see where I end up.

In the meantime, I'm considering just buying another similar motherboard that's being sold AS-IS (broken, not working) and cut around the part I need directly from the motherboard and isolate only that connector, then solder it off gently. Then transfer it to the working MBB.

Another alternative if the phone calls go awry and this next idea may be workable, is to use jumper wires and connect one end to the connector and solder the other end to the motherboard. Only thing that could go wrong is I forget that I soldered it on there and when I lift the motherboard up, BOING, I've pulled the wires off, DOH!

I'm also thinking that even if I do find the part, will it cost more that just buying a broken MBB and taking the piece I need off?

frostyfree

Joined May 24, 2017
SOLVED
Sort of. I didn't get an updated part number or a place to buy it, never really had a chance to call any companies. I did buy a dead motherboard and removed the part using ChipQuik, without this I would have burned the plastic right off. When I soldered the part to the working motherboard, the part didn't really work at all, what a big fail. I yield. Luckily I found a vendor who was selling NEW motherboards for $89 (includes shipping). What a bargain. So I ordered one, installed the motherboard, plugged in that dreaded, tiny, touch screen connector and everything worked. What an adventure I don't want to repeat, I suck at surface mounting sensitive plastic pieces.

I plan to resell (at cost) the non-working motherboard, the original motherboard that didn't work, and the working i5 board that I purchased but without the JTouch connector needed for the touch screen.