IC prefixes

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The LM series of chips is rumored to be an acronym for Linear Monolithic.

A recent thread (where prefix was confused) got me wondering what other common profiles might stand for (general or company-specific).

TL,
LF,
NE,
OPA (I assume: OPerational Amplifier)
Others?

Resent thread with confused prefix

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
PIC = Programmable Intelligent Computer, General Instrument (now Microchip)
LH = Linear Hybrid ? , National Semi. (This was true for LH0032 and LH0033 but is not true for LH0026. The inconsistency drives me crazy).

μA = Fairchild Analog, eg. μA741:
I have always assumed this stood for Micro Analog or Micro Amplifier.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
JoeJester is correct.
Maybe both are true...

According to Wikipedia,

PIC and PICmicro are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology. It is generally thought that PIC stands for Peripheral Interface Controller, although General Instruments' original acronym for the initial PIC1640 and PIC1650 devices was "Programmable Interface Controller".[4] The acronym was quickly replaced with "Programmable Intelligent Computer".[5]

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Maybe both are true...
According to Wikipedia,
PIC and PICmicro are registered trademarks of Microchip Technology. It is generally thought that PIC stands for Peripheral Interface Controller, although General Instruments' original acronym for the initial PIC1640 and PIC1650 devices was "Programmable Interface Controller".[4] The acronym was quickly replaced with "Programmable Intelligent Computer".[5]
There is no link to the 1976 General Instrument data book in the Wikipedia entry. I would be very surprised if the name changed in 1 year.
See here for the 1977 info :
http://www.rhoent.com/pic16xx.pdf

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Here is the list so far -- with some guesses as to what the prefixes stand for after the "?":
TL = ? TiLinear, Texas Instruments
LF = Linear/FET , National Semiconductor
OPA = ?OPerational Amplifier
LM = Linear Monolithic, National Semiconductor
NE = ?, Signetics
SE = ?, Signetics
SN = ?,Texas Instruments
CD = ?, RCA 4000 Series CMOS
TIP = TI Power eg TIP34C, TIP121, etc.
μA = Micro Array, Fairchild eg. μA741
AD = Analog Devices
μPD = ?, NEC
i = Intel, eg. i8085
MK = MOSTEK
MC = ? Micro Circuit, Motorola
Am = AMD, eg. Am9511
AT = Atmel, eg ATMega128, AT89C51CC03
Z = Zilog, eg. Z80, and Z8
PIC = Programmable Intelligent Computer, General Instrument (now Microchip)
LH = ? Linear Hybrid, National Semi. (This was true for LH0032 and LH0033 but is not true for LH0026. The inconsistency drives me crazy).
VN, L = ST Microelectronics, VN340, L298

LT = Linear Tech., Linear Technology

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Not sure where but National Semiconductors had a full detail of their prefixes. Recall seeing them in probably their last paper edition. Went there because of the LMF100 filter.