Manufacturing Prefixes (Nomenclature)

Šamaš-šum-ûkīn

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Hi,

albeit definitely not critical, I was wondering about a specific convention from one Analog Devices chip (ADN8831; thermoelectric cooler controller). While I know the prefixes generally stand for the manufacturer (AD: Analog Devices), Analog Devices added a third prefix letter for several of their products. I've read somewhere it notifies specific functions or product families, but I've found no such list anywhere. The closest guess I've made is "N" stands for NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient).
In regards to the bunch of serial numbers, as usual, I discard that because it is utterly rare to find any reference (clear ordering guides) about that. I suppose they are simply version numbers (especially the two first numbers like 4000 family for the CMOS one).

Regards

P.S. I've found this from a former ordering guide, but I suppose it is before the inclusion of a third letter.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want to know why a manufacture has chosen a specific naming convention you would typically contact them..

Šamaš-šum-ûkīn

Joined Oct 10, 2014
If I get no answer by the end of the day, I'll follow your advice. Since I've already "harassed" some Egyptologists for my secondary hobby, why not the same from manufacturers, especially knowing they are ready to serve potential clients.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
It usually never hurts to ask.. But don't always expect an answer..

I know that many companies have been adding an extra number or letter to indicate ROHS (lead free) compliance.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
When it comes to naming and labeling there are no standards. Any company that makes a new part can label it any way they want to. Companies that want to be a "second" source for a popular part will often adopt the original manufacturer's nomenclature with subtle variations. There is absolutely no requirement for any of the letters or numbers to have any relationship to the manufacturer. In the early days of integrated circuits, National Semiconductor use LM for "Linear Monolithic", and DM for "Digital Monolithic". I'm not sure I ever saw a part from them labeled NS.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
100% with Papabravo. Nearly 50 years doing this and I can name less than a hand full of devices that start with the initials of their manufacturer. NE or SE= Signetics LM = National LS7210 that I bought at Radio Shack= not a clue. CD= never did find out! You just learn them as you go.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
100% with Papabravo. Nearly 50 years doing this and I can name less than a hand full of devices that start with the initials of their manufacturer. NE or SE= Signetics LM = National LS7210 that I bought at Radio Shack= not a clue. CD= never did find out! You just learn them as you go.
From the Wikipedia article:

"The naming system followed the RCA convention of CA for analog, CD for digital, but did not relate to the Texas Instruments SN7400 series numbering scheme."

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if the manufacturers actually labeled things properly, they could be fixed instead of forcing you to send them in for repair or throwing things away and buying another. labeled parts were the reason things got fixed more in the oloder days.

Šamaš-šum-ûkīn

Joined Oct 10, 2014
if the manufacturers actually labeled things properly, they could be fixed instead of forcing you to send them in for repair or throwing things away and buying another. labeled parts were the reason things got fixed more in the oloder days.
Can you elaborate on this? I am unsure what do you mean by that? (I just entered the realms of electronics).

========================================
On a side to note to everyone, I have just sent a message to a technician of Analog Devices. Once I get the reply (and the info if there's any), I will deliver the pertinent info here.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't think this has much to do with it at all. In the days of vacuum tube television, minimum wage was $1.25, now it is headed for $10.10. In a chassis with point to point wiring you could actually trace out a schematic. With a multilayer board this is now nearly impossible. One more thing: what is the proper labeling for a custom chip that you develop, make 10,000 of, and throw away the mask? There are good reasons why some chips are no longer being produced and are unavailable.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
repairing stuff without schematics is my specialty. I have to because manufacturers dont want to give out any info to outsiders. I work on stuff from tubes to multilayer surface mount boards, and have for years. I know theres not much room on some smd to put part numbers, but searching for something that matches, then folowing the circuit to see if its right does get old.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you think trying to convert an LM number to a National Semiconductor part was difficult, wait until you try to convert a PIC number to a working part that you can buy. :D

Need a bidirectional driver that switches every 4/10ths of a second? Do not use an LM555. It's too easy to repair. Use a PIC and sell the customer the whole circuit board for $280 to fix a $400 clothes washer. :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
repairing stuff without schematics is my specialty. I have to because manufacturers dont want to give out any info to outsiders. I work on stuff from tubes to multilayer surface mount boards, and have for years. I know theres not much room on some smd to put part numbers, but searching for something that matches, then folowing the circuit to see if its right does get old.
What will you do as people become increasingly unwilling to pay your asking price? That day is coming weather you realize it or not.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What will you do as people become increasingly unwilling to pay your asking price? That day is coming weather you realize it or not.
The price of the original equipment is of course very low and competitive.
The price of spare parts encourages people to rather buy a new machine than to try to find someone who is willing and able to repair it, and even if the price will be higher than a new one.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
at the moment, I dont work for people, I work for a major corporation keeping their manufacturing equipment running.
OK, what will you do when the major corporation, made up of people who make business decisions, decides it can no longer sustain your salary? I hope you manage to see it coming before it flattens you.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
fortunatly, I can still keep ahead of the costs with the value of the repairs. retirement looms tho. sometimes its nice to be an old fart. I just wish I could show someone else what to do and what I've learned over many years before I go. a lot I've learned isnt taught any more.

Šamaš-šum-ûkīn

Joined Oct 10, 2014
If this is still of interest, a technical support staff from Analog Devices replied to me and gave me the most updated "Ordering Guide" in pdf format. While it doesn't explain all, it gives some insights. ADN stood for Analog Devices Networks (fiber optics networks).

Attachments