I want to make a 24 hour clock using CD 40110

Ronald Arjune

Joined Apr 28, 2016
I would like to make a 24 hour clock with seconds using the cd40110 ic. The clock must also go in reverse when I want it to. I understand that the cd40110 can count in reverse. I think I understand how to connect the 6 led 7 segment displays to it but I don't know how to wire gates to it so it can show time. I can use a 555 timer to clock pulse it. This is a lot to ask as a complex schematic may be required. If it is too difficult, just give me your thoughts of reflection and how to address my reasoning. Thanks.

How do I count to 5 and go back to 0 using 40110. I want to count 59 seconds or minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Because the binary digit data is not brought out, the only way to detect when to roll over is to decode the numbers based on the 7-segment outputs. This will take a LOT of gates. It will be much less effort and fewer parts if you use separate counter and decoder/driver chips for each digit. You will need a presettable up/down counter for each digit. There are many schematics on the internet for this.

ak