I want to find an electronic device with a particular functionality.

Shantanu973

Joined Feb 23, 2018
Is there any device that has a LED screen with number and has four outputs which give the binary output of the displayed number and we can change the number. like if 4 is displayed, output is 0100. Please help me with this. give me name of such a device.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 973,
Welcome to AAC.
There used to be an IC that connected to a 7 seg LED and output a BCD code of the displayed number.
I have not seen that IC for many years, maybe another member may recall the part number.?
If you are able to get a small PIC /MCU programmed it can be easily done.

What is the application.?
E

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Is there any device that has a LED screen with number and has four outputs which give the binary output of the displayed number and we can change the number. like if 4 is displayed, output is 0100. Please help me with this. give me name of such a device.
There are many calculators that will do that.

Shantanu973

Joined Feb 23, 2018
hi 973,
Welcome to AAC.
There used to be an IC that connected to a 7 seg LED and output a BCD code of the displayed number.
I have not seen that IC for many years, maybe another member may recall the part number.?
If you are able to get a small PIC /MCU programmed it can be easily done.

What is the application.?
E
Well I am new to digital electronics, just first year. so I dont know about PIC/MCU. I wanted to make a simple code lock using gates. I have the basic binary code circuit, but I wanted to enhance it with number display. It is for college project.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 973,
OK.
From your description I thought you wanted to convert the numbers displayed on a 7 seg LED to BCD.
If you post a diagram of the circuit you are working on, we can help you add the display etc.

E
BTW: As this is a College assignment I will move the Thread to the Homework Forum.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Well I am new to digital electronics, just first year. so I dont know about PIC/MCU. I wanted to make a simple code lock using gates. I have the basic binary code circuit, but I wanted to enhance it with number display. It is for college project.

Something along these lines. The four MSD bits of an 8bit Analog to digital converter gives you your binary number and feeds the 7-seg driver.

Some 7-seg drivers can convert binary 11-15 to a, b, c, d, E, F on the display for more combinations.

Tap into the ADC output to drive your lock latch circuit.

If you want to use DIP switches or another method to generate the 4-bit Binary number, that is your design choice. This is just an option.

A CD4511 chip is a reasonable driver option.

9E1BBC72-2200-47E4-B68F-11F4C9F631CC.jpeg

Shantanu973

Joined Feb 23, 2018
hi 973,
OK.
From your description I thought you wanted to convert the numbers displayed on a 7 seg LED to BCD.
If you post a diagram of the circuit you are working on, we can help you add the display etc.

E
BTW: As this is a College assignment I will move the Thread to the Homework Forum.
Well i do want to convert 7 seg LED to BCD. Well what my circuit is that it has one combination of 4 switches as key and other 4 as the correct. when both are equal an led is lighted. what i want to do is, using the 4 as BCD display actual numbers. then replicate the circuit so i get multi digit combination lock.