I need to make an application that uses database in python, what should I make?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I need to make an application that uses database in python, what should I make?

Firstly I need to tell about me. I know 0 about programming. I have learnt basics of python only. What are the apps that use database that are upto my level of programming?

I am planning to use django.
-------------------------------------------
Softwares that I love to make-:

1) There is a website called slideplayer.com. I want to download the slides of that page as images and convert them to pdf. Is this doable in my level of programming? Does this uses database? What do I need to learn to make this type of application?

-------------------------------------------
What are doable projects of my level? Please guide a bit? I am thinking about todo app. Is that doable on my level? What do I need to learn to be able to make a todo app in django?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
First, there is o requirement for using a database in the scenario you mention You could use one, but it would be very artificial, just doing it “because”.

Second, why do you need to write a program using a database? What is requiring that?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
First, there is o requirement for using a database in the scenario you mention You could use one, but it would be very artificial, just doing it “because”.

Second, why do you need to write a program using a database? What is requiring that?
A college assignment project. That's why.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
People here are very happy to help with homework but it doesn’t work the same way as personal projects. You need to “show your work”, that is, you need to show how you;ve tried to solve the problem yourself, and you can get help with that.

In this case, you don’t even seem to know what a database is, never mind how to use one. Aren’t your instructors providing some guidance? What, exactly, was the assignment?

I am having trouble understanding how this fits with effective instruction about programming, you seem to be almost entirely without help to understand or complete the assignment.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
People here are very happy to help with homework but it doesn’t work the same way as personal projects. You need to “show your work”, that is, you need to show how you;ve tried to solve the problem yourself, and you can get help with that.

In this case, you don’t even seem to know what a database is, never mind how to use one. Aren’t your instructors providing some guidance? What, exactly, was the assignment?

I am having trouble understanding how this fits with effective instruction about programming, you seem to be almost entirely without help to understand or complete the assignment.
There are no instructions at all. Only instruction is make a frontend, backend application that uses database. It can be only 1 table in database as well. I am from Nepal bro, it is how it is here. Education is pretty shitty here. I regret studying in Nepal daily.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
My suggestion is that you use SQLite to write a web guest book where people can fill in a form with their name, location, and comments, and then it can be browsed or searched to see the entries.

It is a simple program but will probably be a considerable challenge anyway. Anything more complex will probably end in tears.

Good luck.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are no instructions at all. Only instruction is make a frontend, backend application that uses database. It can be only 1 table in database as well. I am from Nepal bro, it is how it is here. Education is pretty shitty here. I regret studying in Nepal daily.
It is hard to know what the point of all of this is. It seems like it might be designed to test your ability to think creatively rather than challenge your technical code writing skills.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Any help here would likely end up pointing you to the Django website, which has tutorials and explanations to get you up to any level of use. Start there.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think point of this is to make us able to have a portfolio project before graduation.
I disagree. Nobody cares about the contents of your university project. I sincerely doubt they'll ever even see it; especially since you have received little or no guidance in creating it. Nobody EVER looked at mine. They just hired me because my body temperature was 98.6°F, I had a degree, and they threw me into the fire.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I disagree. Nobody cares about the contents of your university project. I sincerely doubt they'll ever even see it; especially since you have received little or no guidance in creating it. Nobody EVER looked at mine. They just hired me because my body temperature was 98.6°F, had a degree, and threw me into the fire.
That dragged a laugh out of me and I wasn't even in the mood for it. Thank you.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I disagree. Nobody cares about the contents of your university project. I sincerely doubt they'll ever even see it; especially since you have received little or no guidance in creating it. Nobody EVER looked at mine. They just hired me because my body temperature was 98.6°F, I had a degree, and they threw me into the fire.
LOL really? Then how do you get a job?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It was 1970 and things were different then.
And it was in America.

I don't have any concept of what constitutes good advice on getting a programming job in 2021 in Nepal. I doubt anyone here does. I think the best you can do is follow up on the technical suggestions provided here (SQLite, Django) to complete your assignment, and consult knowledgeable folks in your area for career advice. and it probably wouldn't hurt to have a pulse, a degree, confidence, and a smile on your face.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
And it was in America.

I don't have any concept of what constitutes good advice on getting a programming job in 2021 in Nepal. I doubt anyone here does. I think the best you can do is follow up on the technical suggestions provided here (SQLite, Django) to complete your assignment, and consult knowledgeable folks in your area for career advice. and it probably wouldn't hurt to have a pulse, a degree, confidence, and a smile on your face.
Right. We should address the impact of a "term project" on the resume of a candidate in a non US environment. There may be reason why it could be important. Early in my career the company that gave me my first job had major European clients. They did not care what I did before I came to work for the company. When I told them I could deliver what they wanted they smiled and we shook hands. The rest as they say is history.

One other perspective. Anything you do toady will be in the landfill in less than a decade.