i need some information about "single array flash" in microcontroller for boodloader development.

Rjdurai

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Hi to all,
i am new to boot-loader development, as per my understanding FBL = PBL+SBL, some micro controller have single flash array, due to that reason must need develop SBL, so first i want to know "What is single flash array ?" , "how to find single flash array supported controller?"

if some one answer this Q ,i'm very happy , it is very helpful for bootloader development.

Thank you.
Raj,

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think all of the Atmel (now Microchip)ATMEGA- controllers have some sort of self-programming ability.
ATMEL 8-BIT MICROCONTROLLER WITH 4/8/16/32KBYTES IN-SYSTEM PROGRAMMABLE FLASH
̶ Optional Boot Code Section with Independent Lock Bits
In-System Programming by On-chip Boot Program
True Read-While-Write Operation
̶ Programming Lock for Software Security

Edit: Upon checking ATTINY25/45/85/ series also has similar features. Other ATTINY chips may also have this feature.

The PIC-18 family is said to have such capability as well, but better wait for somebody more familiar with that family.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I think all of the Atmel (now Microchip)ATMEGA- controllers have some sort of self-programming ability.

The PIC-18 family is said to have such capability as well, but better wait for somebody more familiar with that family.
The 18F has the capability to write to flash program memory under program control as do the 16F1xxx enhanced midrange and some of the later flash midrange such as 16F88x. There are probably exceptions that don't. I'm not sure what 'True Read-While-Write-Operation' is on the ATMELs but all of the PICs I have used stall the whole chip for a couple of milliseconds when each 32 or 64 byte page (depending on the chip) of flash is written, something that has to be taken into account when using the feature.

Rjdurai

Joined Sep 24, 2015

Edit: Upon checking ATTINY25/45/85/ series also has similar features. Other ATTINY chips may also have this feature.

i'm going to use MPC5744 NXP micro,

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The datasheet for your device directs one to the NXP "Reference Manual" for programming details. I tried to take a look at it and ran into this:

1589531969297.png

Source: https://community.nxp.com/thread/396085

I ran into a similar problem years ago with NXP RF modules. As an individual, it is very hard to deal with. Bottom line, I could not get the datasheet, so I didn't buy the module.

My only experience so far with NXP microcontrollers is with the LPC2134/1, which is an older device. In that device, the bootloader is installed at the factory and cannot be erased by the user. At least it seemed that way. NXP has its own programmers, but I used Flash Magic, which is free. Getting into boot mode is easy and all you need are the RX, TX, and ground connections. At that point all it needed as a hex file. That is, there was no bootloader to write.

Good luck.

mckenney

Joined Nov 10, 2018
The datasheet for your device directs one to the NXP "Reference Manual" for programming details. I tried to take a look at it and ran into this:
I wonder if the NDA thing is stale information. I did some work with the MPC5744 a few years ago, and I had no trouble getting either the RM or the CPU (e200) manual. As I recall the CPU manual took some time to locate, but it wasn't restricted.

In any case the CPU manual wouldn't have anything to say about the Flash, since that's a (Freescale) peripheral, described in the RM. And I don't have anything to add about the Flash, since I didn't mess with it. (Certs people frown on that sort of thing.)
[Edit: Tried to make the wording less muddy]

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I doubt it is any sort of export restriction based on country, as an NDA would not address the basis for that. It seemed to me that the purpose was to have only business to business relations. Here are links to some of its NDA descriptions:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/476663
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-335524

Notice that the latter ("SelfAssure") even includes safety manuals. In my earlier interactions, NXP would not do an NDA with an individual who was not associated with a legitimate company as opposed to some shell entity.

mckenney

Joined Nov 10, 2018
What I meant was that maybe NXP had changed its mind about the NDA (for this particular case) since 2016. Or the responder was mistaken.

SafeAssure is a little different, since that's a bunch of value-added software. I'm pretty sure you can download the MPC5744 Safety Manual if you want to roll your own.