I need some books on digital logic design.

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
Hi Friends!
I need some books on digital logic design (under-graduate level). Will anybody send me any through email (in PDF or some other "soft" or electronic format)? i shall be much obliged to you. As i dont have any credit card (not available here!), so i cant buy books online. My email address is engr.fkhan@gmail.com.
Thanking you, I am
Truly yours,
rampart

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
Thank you very much recca and dave.
Well I have already downloaded the digital electronics book which you have referred to. But the problem is that the chapter on combinational circuits is not yet available. In addition, topics such as counters and registers have not been dealt with thoroughly.
Dear Dave, I particularly need material on flip-flops, counters, registers,SAP-1 architecture and various memories.
Let me repeat my request. Can someone send to me complete books on digital logic design. As I have browsed the free stuff available on the internet from top to bottom, so I am afraid posting links to free material for me wont give me any substantial help. What I am looking for is someone who has complete books on the above-mentioned topics. If you have my required books,please send to me at engr.fkhan@gmail.com. I shall be much obliged to you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Let me understand. You are asking members here to send you books at their expense, and you propose to give nothing in return except your general obligations.

My own opinion is that if I were to do that for one person I would be obliged to do it for everyone who asks. I cannot afford to take that level of risk so I will have to decline. Maybe you can find a library where you can borrow the books.

You might have some takers if you offered to pay for the shipping.

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
Dear Papabravo,
I am afraid you have misunderstood me. I am talking about electronic books(in pdf or html or some other format) not "physical" books. And I have never asked anyone to buy a book for me. I have only requested them to share with me any books about the particular topic if they already possess them. "Risk"...sorry i cant figure out what kind of risk is involved in sharing a book with others. If i had some book and a hundred persons requested for it, believe me, i wont hesitate in sharing it with them.
As I come from a backward place in Pakistan, so the concept of a "science library" is almost non-existent in our area. We do have a library at our university but it hosts a very limited number of books.
Anyway, my request was general. If someone has the books and wants to share them with me, I will be obliged to them. If however someone does not possess the book or does not want to share them, there is no harm in just passing by my post without any response.
Thanks,
Fahad

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm sorry you have this concept that there exists a vast store of electronic books at our disposal which you did not find in your earlier search. As you quite rightly point out the thing that you want costs money because the people who create such works have little interest in doing it for free. The impression I have of people from "backward areas of Pakistan", your words not mine, is that you have no qualms about ripping off the intelectual property of others with some notion that sharing such things is a noble pursuit.

You will find that there is a general reluctance to share copyrighted material among engineers who have a code of ethics and observe a level of professional responsibility.

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
I think I cant make others understand my point due to my particular ideas and thinking. I am not in favour of what I call "commercialization" of knowledge and intellect. I think that whatever we possess is given to us by Allah and our fellow human beings notwithstanding some efforts on our part as well. So we are morally obliged to impart to others(who cant afford to pay for it) whatever has been given to us. Only such a thinking can make the world a better and beautiful place to live. As opposed to this is the concept of materialism which wieghs everything in the balance of material and mundane benefits and consequences. And a materialist person is, i think, not worthy of being called a human being.
As far as books are concerned, I think most people share them with each other. Liberaries also share books with the readers without voilating the copyrights or ripping the intellectual property of the author for free. If sharing books is considered an offense, why are not public libraries shut down?
Personally I prefer giving a book to someone else than letting it remain in my bookshelf to be eaten by termites.
Thanks,
Fahad.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and while I do not agree with some of your points, I do respect your right to hold those views. This is a forum for electronics, not religion and politics. We should try to direct this thread back in that direction. If you have specific questions then you shhould ask them, and in the spirit of giving we will try to answer them.

Once again, for the record, I do not have any materials in electronic form on the subject of logic design, nor do I feel that it is my purpose on this planet to obtain and distribute such material. If you wish to place me in the class of non-humans because of my views then so be it. I think I was pretty much there anyway before this thread even started.

rampart

Joined May 30, 2007
I am afraid I have been misunderstood once again! Why on the earth do you feel that my comments about a materialist person were directed at you? Believe me I did not at all mean that. It was a general remark, applicable to me first and then to others. Ain't most of us today engulfed by a stark materialsm?
Buddy! I hate hurting others' hearts. Forgive me if have offended you.
Well, I made some relegious remarks but I did that for clarifying my point of view. I am not at all in favour of marring the "scientific purity" of this forum with politics or relegion. Lets forget about this topic from now on.
Thanks for the offer to answer my questions.
Personally, I prefer bypassing a post to which I cant be of any help than unwanted interference.
Thnaks,
Fahad.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
At this point it is my responsibility to weigh in with my comments regarding copyrighted materials here on AAC. Aside from personal opinions on the rights and wrongs of distributing copyrighted material external to the conditions of the copyright, we operate a policy of only supplying links to e-books where the book is free to view as a condition of the copyright - we do this because this is the law in the countries where the copyright exists and we wish to respect the rights of the author to exploit his or her intellectual property.

Sharing knowledge is something AAC actively promotes, look at the free e-book provided at this site and the forums provided to support the e-book amongst other things, however we also respect the rights of authors. On that note, it must be made clear that we will not accept discussion of obtaining pay-for copyrighted material for free. And whilst I do understand that books are expensive and sometimes inaccessible, sadly we can only recommend that you )if possible) either buy the book or loan it from a library. (Incidentally, when libraries purchase a book they obtain a license to loan a single copy of the book to members of the library. They cannot reproduce and redistribute the book in electronic or other form. This is different from the copyright license you purchase when you buy the book from a shop).

Dave

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For the record I agree with and support the policy of the forum as so eloquently stated by Dave. It should not be necessary for a forum moderator to step in every time this topic comes up. If we believe in the policy we should not be afraid to make that statement of belief as politely as possible.

I believe the penalty for posting links to or suggesting the acquisition without payment of copyrighted works should the banning of a member for a period of time.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
... The impression I have of people from "backward areas of Pakistan", your words not mine, is that you have no qualms about ripping off the intelectual property of others with some notion that sharing such things is a noble pursuit.

You will find that there is a general reluctance to share copyrighted material among engineers who have a code of ethics and observe a level of professional responsibility.
Intellectual property is (or should be) defended by rights, not dollars. I think you should see the Free Software Foundation point of view about intellectual property.

You can see my example, I give away my projects for free, but I won't allow them to be copied and simply renamed (that is, with no improvements, nether in form, nor in contents...or a simple copy only with the author renamed), so that I can be later sued by the copier, as a copier. Bucks allow those situations (I call it Microsoft like situations), rights no. I believe in the free diffusion of information.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Intellectual property is (or should be) defended by rights, not dollars. I think you should see the Free Software Foundation point of view about intellectual property.

You can see my example, I give away my projects for free, but I won't allow them to be copied and simply renamed (that is, with no improvements, nether in form, nor in contents...or a simple copy only with the author renamed), so that I can be later sued by the copier, as a copier. Bucks allow those situations (I call it Microsoft like situations), rights no. I believe in the free diffusion of information.
I understand the FSF position very well. I too have released software into the wild for no economic gain or benefit. I choose not to continue doing so for reasons of my own. Authors choosing to give their work away is one thing. Encouraging or enabling people to violate the law and disadvantage authors who choose no to do that is something quite different.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
since this topic really went off topic,
i suggest it shud be moved off-topic ,
i will have a lot to comment on it then
lets take a vote:
i am for free education----- ^_^ v
but tell me my friends will good books exist without money as an incentive,
will publications ever go for a non profit + losses due to expenditure on printing transport etc.
may be i shud use this discussion in my economics thread,
long live free ebooks.
long live aac and wiki. :)

btw is aac a total non profit organization, do u ppl accept sponsorship?

rampart,
i suggest you buy a book called Digital logic and computer Design by M Morris Malvino.
I have checked the internet and low price edition for sale in India Pakistan and similar countries are available.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
btw is aac a total non profit organization, do u ppl accept sponsorship?
AAC is privately owned and initially made money through Google Ads. This is currently not the case, but may change in the future. The main site has no commercial aspect. On the forums we exercise a strict no-advertising policy.

Dave