I need notes - Pure mathematics :)

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
algebraic relationships >> equations , identities, inequalities, functions, partaial fractions , quadratic equations

algebraic topics >> indeces , surds, logarithms, ramainde theorems , pascal triangle

coodrinate geometry>> cartesian geometry of a straight line , circles and parabolas , intersection of lines and curvers, cubic curves , parametric coordinates , loci

trigonometric functions >> radians , arc and sector , trigonometric ratios , sine rule , cosine rule , inverse trigonometric functions , trigonometric equations , general solutions

trigonometric identities >> further solution of equations , the expression a cos Q {tita} + b sin Q , small angles

curver scetching >> even/odd , continuous and periodic functions , general methods y=1/f(x) modulus notation , further inequalities

thanks in advance

i took pure mathematics and physics and chemistry at advanced level but maths is being such a pain... cant understand my own notes... please i need easy to understand notes

especially the sine and cosine rules!

thanks
Marlon :confused:

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are two editions currently available, 5th and 6th. The 6th apparently has greater contribution by the co-author, Dexter Booth.

Any opinion on which edition may be better? (I am a firm believer that newer editions are not always better.)

John

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have never read any previous editions but I have 6th edition and find it very good. There is another book called Advanced Engineering Mathematics which may be better. I think it contains the Stroud's book theory plus something more.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
There are two editions currently available, 5th and 6th. The 6th apparently has greater contribution by the co-author, Dexter Booth.

Any opinion on which edition may be better? (I am a firm believer that newer editions are not always better.)

John
John, I have the 5th edition (which is the one titled as "With Additions by Dexter J. Booth"). I have never seen the 6th edition so cannot specifically comment as to which I find better. Stroud gives a complete introduction to Engineering Mathematics. For more advanced Engineering Mathematics I find Stroud quite limited and typically use Kreyzig's text. I agree with your general sentiment about a new edition does not equal better.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks. I will bring all of my advanced questions here. I just need to know how to ask them. :D

The reviews on Amazon for both editions were great. Most people felt it was the best textbook they had ever used, but a relatively poor reference book. Those reviewers had used it as students and kept it for nostalgia, which implies an older edition.

John