I need ideas about projects in Electromechanical engineering

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Sure, design and build an electro mechanical motor system for driving the control rods in and out of the core of a nuclear reactor.

Seriously, you really need to define in some detail well beyond electromechanical project. A goal of what the project will do and how you want to reach the goal you set.

Me? I would think about an electro mechanical induction catapult system on a small scale. Simply a proof of concept small scale system where proof of concept is shown. Much of what you are asking is a matter of what you feel comfortable with. Another thought is an electric motor electromechanical system which can withstand operating at extreme high temperatures. Work with things you are comfortable with.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A very useful device would be one to stop carjackers. My current thinking is a very high voltage to make them leave quickly.

But what would be very beneficil to the whole world will be an electro-mechanical virus remover. You could get a good grade and more money than you could spend. AND be a hero!!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A very useful device would be one to stop carjackers. My current thinking is a very high voltage to make them leave quickly.

But what would be very beneficil to the whole world will be an electro-mechanical virus remover. You could get a good grade and more money than you could spend. AND be a hero!!
Isn’t that called a Taser?

Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Isn’t that called a Taser?

Bob
No, the taser shoots electrodes into the target, and the voltage is between those electrodes. This anti-carjack system would need to place the voltage between the car body and the pavement below. So the voltage will need to overcome ground contact resistance plus insulated footware resistance and still deliver several milliamps of current for a short time. And it has to do this while not arcing between the wheel rims and the pavement. The taser uses two insulated wires and so is only effective against one, until it is reloaded, very much different. Much simpler, really.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A safer project would be a robotic device that uses a UV light beam to sweep an area to kill the virus creating so many problems. Because this wavelength is hazardous to humans the system will need to check for human presence before starting the high energy light sweep. It will need to measure the distance so that it can provide an adequate time in each direction, because the disinfection depends on power delivered per unit area, and the beam spread reduces that as the distance increases. So this will not be a simple project, but certainly a useful one. The safety systems will be interesting because how will it detect humans?

sama956

Joined May 31, 2018
A safer project would be a robotic device that uses a UV light beam to sweep an area to kill the virus creating so many problems. Because this wavelength is hazardous to humans the system will need to check for human presence before starting the high energy light sweep. It will need to measure the distance so that it can provide an adequate time in each direction, because the disinfection depends on power delivered per unit area, and the beam spread reduces that as the distance increases. So this will not be a simple project, but certainly a useful one. The safety systems will be interesting because how will it detect humans?
that's so interesting , thank you !!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
that's so interesting , thank you !!
A project such as this one would most likely be deemed worthy, because it is in fact rather demanding. Mostly the safety aspects will be a challenge. But including safety in the initial description is good for quite a few points.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another avenue may be allied to the CNC world and would also set you in good stead for the future.
This is one project and if a little on the excess side, smaller projects are out there, more info can be found on the CNCzone forum.
Also there is a free CNC front end program called Mach3 and 4. available for download.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
A project such as this one would most likely be deemed worthy, because it is in fact rather demanding. Mostly the safety aspects will be a challenge. But including safety in the initial description is good for quite a few points.
Quite challenging, like how do you overcome the resistance from the car to the pavement through the tires?

Bob

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another suggestion involving industrial engineering is using a PLC.
For this, the smaller SmartRelay version could be utilized to create a project such as a dumb waiter for e.g.
This does not quite go to the extent of the full CNC control, but industrial CNC controllers do use a PLC for the general machine control also.
Also an introduction to Boolean logic.
There are a few manuf. of SmartRelays to pick from.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Bob, That is one of the challenges that I have not solved yet. The first experiments with a neon sign transformer
Quite challenging, like how do you overcome the resistance from the car to the pavement through the tires?

Bob, That is a challenge that I have not solved yet. The first experiment with a 12 KV transformer outside the car proved that they all have a center tap grounded to the case, so only 6KV was available. With the driveway wet a florescent light tube would glow a bit resting against the car. That is not adequate, I need a bright glow with dry concrete. Another experiment will involve a much higher frequency, probably about 16Khz, since horizontal output transformers are easily available these days.

I was quite impressed a few years back in seeing a distribution high-wire that fell in my yard, arcing to dirt. I did not get to ask the power company folks what the voltage was, but that would be a fair starting point. I am guessing it is a 12 KV line,but maybe it is higher. Possibly 20 KV would be adequate, if I could drop a conductor down to the pavement when I was stopped. The mechanism would be a bit messy, especially insulating it from the car body, which would be at the opposite potential.