I need help, how I can get the collapsing power from a coil (magnet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssweasel

Joined Oct 18, 2021
Was wondering how I can get the collapsing power from a coil (magnet) to charge a battery. I have a diode in reverse bias and was able to get it into a capacitor but it won’t dump into the battery. TIA

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thread title police here.

“I need help” is of no help to anybody here.
Please try and post a title that informs the reader what the topic concerns.

Try something like
“I am trying to charge a battery from collapsing power in a magnet”

Welcome to AAC!

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
It would depend on the battery voltage. A capacitor is not charged, it has "Zero" volts to oppose the current flow from the collapsing mag field. The voltage of the battery will restrict this current and the "charging" may be negligible.

Ssweasel

Joined Oct 18, 2021
It would depend on the battery voltage. A capacitor is not charged, it has "Zero" volts to oppose the current flow from the collapsing mag field. The voltage of the battery will restrict this current and the "charging" may be negligible.
Sorry I am new to this and pretty much self teaching. I am using a 12 volt battery in an electronic system that fluctuates a magnet with a mosfet zn44 I think off hand, with a 3144 hall sensor. When I put the reverse biased diode in between the leads on the coil there is no more heat to the mosfet or the coil itself. Was trying to charge the 4 18650’s with the collapsing field. End product I would like to be able to boost the system with a battery and use a relay to get the system to self run. If it is even possible.

Ssweasel

Joined Oct 18, 2021
Thread title police here.

“I need help” is of no help to anybody here.
Please try and post a title that informs the reader what the topic concerns.

Try something like
“I am trying to charge a battery from collapsing power in a magnet”

Welcome to AAC!
I am such a Nubiee haha thanks for the advise. How the hell do I change the title now or do I have to make a new thread?

Mod: Changed the Thread Title.E

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Can we have a sche
Sorry I am new to this and pretty much self teaching. I am using a 12 volt battery in an electronic system that fluctuates a magnet with a mosfet zn44 I think off hand, with a 3144 hall sensor. When I put the reverse biased diode in between the leads on the coil there is no more heat to the mosfet or the coil itself. Was trying to charge the 4 18650’s with the collapsing field. End product I would like to be able to boost the system with a battery and use a relay to get the system to self run. If it is even possible.
Can we have a schematic please?
No, you cannot have a "self run" system. It would fall under the category of imaginative perpetual machines.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You need to add another inductor to do that:
1634627318341.png

For more detail, search for "Lossless Snubber Circuit" without the quotation marks.

Unless you switch off the current to your inductor many times a second (like tens of kHz) the lost energy might not be worth recovering. Note that this example circuit shows a lossless snubber in a forward converter in which the output diode conducts whine the switching transistor ("S") is conducting.

Still waiting to see the correct title of the thread :)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The very critical bit of this is the idea you are going to get the system to produce more energy than you put in. That isn’t ever going to happen no matter what you add or remove.

The energy has to come from somewhere and you will always get out less than you put in, never more.

So the answer to “if it can even be done” is, it can’t.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I missed the part about booting with a battery and letting it run on its own until the battery was changed.

From the User Agreement for this site:
Restricted topics. The following topics are considered "out of bounds" and will result in your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems

Status
Not open for further replies.