I have not found any good Circuit to power an Op-Amp using DC. Any suggestions?

dannysebahar

Joined Jul 8, 2017
I have managed to get a TL074 running off of a voltage divider made out of two 200K Ohm half-watt resistors, but the board looks ugly & requires 24-Volts DC (I get best results off any CD-4000 series IC at 12-V). I only use the 24 volts for providing an AC virtual Earth at 12Volts for the Vcc & Vee pins of my ICs and then have to either design the whole circuit using the 12w-Volt DC node as my ground or use half-watt resistors for everything which takes up space and the increased power increased the chances of drawing too much current if I make a mistake.

Can anyone provide a link to a simple way to power the 4000 series CMOS ICs with 12-Volts DC as well as most other precision Op-Amps and Comparators?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am not sure I understand your problem.

CD4000 series CMOS logic will work directly with supply voltages from 3-18V.
Single supply opamps such as LM324 will work directly with supply voltages from 3-32V.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can anyone provide a link to a simple way to power the 4000 series CMOS ICs with 12-Volts DC as well as most other precision Op-Amps and Comparators?
You might get started with this thread:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/creating-a-virtual-power-supply-article.13678

Also search on "rail splitter" and you'll find a lot of stuff on the topic.

But you may also be better off avoiding dual power supplies all together. See this, for example:
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa030a/sloa030a.pdf

dannysebahar

Joined Jul 8, 2017
I have now become accustomed to putting a through hole mounted Barrel Jack with an indication LED and a TL072 with a 200k-200k Resistor Divider with a 2k potentiometer with it's outside pins connecting the 200K Resistors and the wiper providing a trimmed "Virtual Ground" to a Voltage Follower Op-=Amp and I have that output going through another Voltage follower to isolate my Virtual Ground from any effects due to Loading.

I understand now that having a Dual Supply isn't necessary as the goal is simply to keep the inputs near Vss/2.