I-Bridge, need second opinion

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
This is for an electromagnetic "toy." ;)
I-bridge 1.jpg
I want to energise coils L1 and L2 when CTRL-1 is Hi and CTRL-2 is Lo.
I want to energise coils L2 and L3 When CTRL-1 is Lo and CTRL-2 is Hi.
I want all coils de-energised when both CTRL-1 and CTRL-2 are Lo.

Will this work as drawn? (I know I need to throw in some snubber diodes, base resistors, and similar protections.)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

It looks like the FET's turn on as desired. One note, though - most FET's have a 20 volt limit G to S. Your 22 volt supply might cause problems.

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Howdy. It looks OK to me, too, but getting the voltage dividers right for the emitters for Q1,3 & gates for Q5,9 might be tricky. Ditto for Q2,4's emitters & Q6,10's gates.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi,

It looks like the FET's turn on as desired. One note, though - most FET's have a 20 volt limit G to S. Your 22 volt supply might cause problems.
That is a good point beenthere. Overdriving the gate is a potential problem with Q7 and Q8.

A quick way to address this potential problem would be to open the connection between Q9's drain and the junction of R1 and Q7 and insert a resistor of sufficient value to reduce the gate drive signal to a level more in keeping with the manufacturer's recommended maximum. This same treatment could be applied to subcircuit Q10, R2, and Q8.

This solution is acceptable only if the increase in turn-on time for Q7 and Q8 introduced by this circuit chnage did not adversely impact the circuits operation.

hgmjr

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
40ns? I doubt 40ms would make much difference for this application. :) I'll impliment HGMJr's suggestion. Thank you to all who have given advice thus far! I'll post an updated schematic in a few days.