I am looking for an AC load bank to complete my power supply. (Any suggestions from where)

blaineeley09

Joined Sep 27, 2016
Good afternoon,

I am in the process of building an AC Power Supply and am looking for a Variable Resistive load bank to help supply these 4 currents at these 7 voltages. I will be testing from 0 to 1,000 VAC specifically at 240, 380, 400, 480, 600, 690, and 1,000 VAC. At each of these voltages we will apply 0.5A, 2.5A, 5.0A, and 10A of current. Each current has a tolerance of +/- 10% so it is okay if it is not exact. The output is AC. I have been looking for companies who make these but a few people have emailed me back and have said that they do not supply that much power. If anyone knows someone that I could order that from or the components that I would need to construct that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You maximum power is 10kW so you could use a 240VAC input Variac with a 560V, 20A output and then a 10kW 1:2 step-up transformer to get to 1000Vac.
But that won't be cheap.
You could buy cheaper Chinese units, but the quality of those devices is always of concern.

As far as a load bank, you could use high-powered room heaters or water-cooled resistors, switched in series/parallel as needed to get the various currents you need at the desired voltages.
I wouldn't try to make it continuously variable.

Last edited: