I Am Always looking For the Next Best Thing To Do.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have found something that requires your tools and knowledge..

Surveying yachts ,you just have to out bid the next guy and be trusted.

The more experience you get,higher the demand for your service.

Have you been thinking since I have been away.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Whatcha know about yachts loosie? Seems pretty niche, like you'd have to be someone who has owned multiple yachts in the past. Someone who's made rookie mistakes, bought bad boats, and learned the hard way what to watch out for. But that's just me talking, having never stepped foot onto a yacht. I really don't know what I'm talking about. And maybe you ARE that guy, who has had yachts in the past, and know exactly what you're talking about. That really wouldn't surprise me. You're an enigma.

WHO IS LOOSEWIRE?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Whatcha know about yachts loosie? Seems pretty niche, like you'd have to be someone who has owned multiple yachts in the past. Someone who's made rookie mistakes, bought bad boats, and learned the hard way what to watch out for. But that's just me talking, having never stepped foot onto a yacht. I really don't know what I'm talking about. And maybe you ARE that guy, who has had yachts in the past, and know exactly what you're talking about. That really wouldn't surprise me. You're an enigma.

WHO IS LOOSEWIRE?

Plus there is no money in it. You do it because you love boats not for the money.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Plus there is no money in it.
There is if you work as a deckhand. And lots of free beer and travel, too.

That's what I did in college. More fun (and a heck of a lot of hard work) than I'll ever have/do again.

I had a great captain, and lots of big boats out of Miami.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There is if you work as a deckhand. And lots of free beer and travel, too.

That's what I did in college. More fun (and a heck of a lot of hard work) than I'll ever have/do again.

I had a great captain, and lots of big boats out of Miami.
Humm not in my experience. Maybe if you are lucky enough to be working with someone that is both generous and deep pockets. Deckhands usually make near nothing. Captains make next to nothing. Marina owners / boat brokers are usually wondering if they are going to be open their doors tomorrow. Of course there are exceptions but from what I have seen those are rare.

I actually considered becoming a professional captain in the BVI until I talked to a few. I just couldn't deal with not having at least somewhat of a chance of a secure future so stayed in tech.

But my biggest regret is when the one and only time I was ever laid off in my life. I had already had plans to charter sail in the BVI. I considered canceling but the flight and charter was already paid plus there were people relying on me to be captain. I decided to go. I got to know the charter company owner fairly well. He was always after me to move there and start a consulting business. I know all I had to do was ask him if I could stay on a boat and work for food he would have granted my wish. That has to be the greatest regret in my life that I did not ask.

Last edited: