Hurricane Maria 2017

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have friend that wondered why I was always against things being taken over by the government. It's stories like this that changed his mind.
Have you heard the story about the three most common lies?
In order of offensiveness:
1) The check is in the mail.
2) I won't (do something) in your mouth.
3) I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The nanny state is completely out of control!
Now I will stop for fear of my contribution(s) getting whacked for being political.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Have you heard the story about the three most common lies?
In order of offensiveness:
1) The check is in the mail.
2) I won't (do something) in your mouth.

The nanny state is completely out of control!
Now I will stop for fear of my contribution(s) getting whacked for being political.
I find it humorous that the people who complain about item #3 and refer to the “Nanny State” can turn around and complain about your quoted text in #2 - nannying about people “doing something” with the ‘wrong’ person, in the ‘wrong’ place or calling it the ‘wrong’ thing.

As a reference, see the new GOP nominee for senator for Alabama.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's illustrative to look at the relief to Puerto Rico versus what we saw in Texas, Florida and Louisiana. Same government, hugely different results. Why? Because ordinary Americans can drive to those other places and help out. We can't drive to Puerto Rico. Relief can only come from government or government "sanctioned" NGOs. We can all see how well that's working.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
It's illustrative to look at the relief to Puerto Rico versus what we saw in Texas, Florida and Louisiana. Same government, hugely different results. Why? Because ordinary Americans can drive to those other places and help out. We can't drive to Puerto Rico. Relief can only come from government or government "sanctioned" NGOs. We can all see how well that's working.
That proves that the population is mostly responsible for its own aid... no matter how much the government tries to outshine it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That proves that the population is mostly responsible for its own aid... no matter how much the government tries to outshine it.
Bingo. PR suffers a whole bunch of infrastructure issues as well and is even more broke than Illinois. Same root cause - too much government.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Partially true. The government was helping in Florida and Texas. Florida had access to 30,000 utility workers (arranged by FEMA) and the Jones Act was immediately lifted for Texas and Florida to get fuel into those states (requested by Defense Departmemt).

In the case of PR, it is suffering because DT is too concerned with hijacking an NFL protest instead of helping PR (lifting the Jones Act - even permanently, getting electrical workers and vehicles to PR). Ineptitude.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
From https://careers.fema.gov/hurricane

for PR, this is what FEMA hires ....

• FEMA is looking for individuals to work in customer service and logistics. If you are interested and a current resident of Puerto Rico, email fema-workforce-caribbean@fema.dhs.gov your resume and include “Puerto Rico” in the subject line.

I didn't see any requests for linemen. As far as the mutual agreements between electric companies and the retired linemen who always seem to have their own truck and are at the ready, 30,000 linemen are readily available. PR, needs assistance with the logistics problem. The problem with the government response is they "react" to requests, they don't jump in because of the sovereignty of the states. Now the Governor of PR had been talking with DT, and DT had declared PR a disaster area, two days after Maria hit, according to the NYTimes, about a week ago.

Remember the USAF cut the C5's from their inventory as a cost savings mechanism, however, in May of this year, they were bringing some of them back. Assuming there is an operational airfield in PR, the C5 should be able to get some linemen and their equipment, as well as parts to renew the power lines, over there. Again, that would have to work within the USAF's hierarchy to deploy them.

I haven't been to PR. I don't know what stage they are at, to receive the material via Air or Sea. If they went the sea route, the MSC would be involved. Apparently you can fit two linemen trucks in a LCM ....

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Now, we have some intersections we could discuss...

the intersection of politics and a hurricane.

...Lack of leadership and blame.

...local government and federal government

...US citizens that cannot vote for president and a president.

...an island that must rely on expensive US ships with US crews to move anything from the mainland And the rest of the country blaming the island residents for lack of economic growth.

Does anyone else have something more to add?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Now, we have some intersections we could discuss...

the intersection of politics and a hurricane.

...Lack of leadership and blame.

...local government and federal government

...US citizens that cannot vote for president and a president.

...an island that must rely on expensive US ships with US crews to move anything from the mainland And the rest of the country blaming the island residents for lack of economic growth.

Does anyone else have something more to add?
Why don't we keep politics out of it and agree that Puerto Rico's problems have been occurring for a long time (the start being maybe around the 40s-50s with their move from agriculture to manufacturing) and there is a lot of blame to go around over such a long period of time.