Hurricane Harvey

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My mechanic friend just called me from his attic to tell me that the car I left at his house for him to work on is under water, along with his 2 vehicles and 1ft of water in his house. Probably 5ft of water in his street and he is trapped in his house with his kids with water still rising. He doesn't even live in a 500yr flood plain and doesn't have flood insurance. So I know what I'll be doing the next few days: ripping sheetrock and carpet for no pay.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My mechanic friend just called me from his attic to tell me that the car I left at his house for him to work on is under water, along with his 2 vehicles and 1ft of water in his house. Probably 5ft of water in his street and he is trapped in his house with his kids with water still rising. He doesn't even live in a 500yr flood plain and doesn't have flood insurance. So I know what I'll be doing the next few days: ripping sheetrock and carpet for no pay.
Get to him and/or tell him to get out of his attic.
- Attic spaces get hot (even on cloudy days)
- the only escape is back down through the water
- nobody can see he is there and needs help

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Get to him and/or tell him to get out of his attic.
- Attic spaces get hot (even on cloudy days)
- the only escape is back down through the water
- nobody can see he is there and needs help
I can't get to him without a boat and he can't get to the highway without swimming in flood waters of unknown depth and current. He is on the phone with 911 rescue

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
OUCH! So sorry to hear that. We're right under the stationary rain-band. 19+ " rain in last 24hrs. Neighborhood is flooded, we're about 3" above water level so damage yet. Rain tapering off and levels receding for us for now. We're lucky. Just thousands getting run out of their homes. Boats on TV getting folks out of seriously flooded homes.

Good luck, man.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
First responders putting out calls for anyone with boats and/or fuel. They've been running all night.

And neighbors are responding-bringing fuel from their generator stock. Nice!

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Stranto, John in Texasr and everyone in the path of this storm our thoughts are with all of you. Sitting here on a quiet sunny Sunday morning it is hard to imagine the devastation we are watching on the morning news. The storm is just sitting there, I heard one storm track report estimating a track of something like 1.0 MPH and that is just when it moves. The amount of water being dropped is just incomprehensible. As I write this our emergency generator just started for its weekly Sunday morning exercise routine. Fortunately we are on high ground.

Saw some estimates the rain could possibly run till next Friday making it a week of rain. Then the pictures of the tornadoes leaving us wondering if you guys down there will ever catch a break. Simple hard to imagine. Again, our thoughts, hearts and prayers for your and everyone's safety.

Hang Tight
Ron

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Heard from a coworker. When he was rescued from his house the water was chest level. All his possessions are ruined and he had to leave his dogs behind. Both cars submerged. This guy was already at poverty level and of course he didn't have full coverage on his or his wife's car and I don't know if he had homeowners insurance.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Very sorry to hear that, we've been pretty lucky by comparison.

Our kid's first floor and cars are under water but they are safe and we'll go get them if we get a break in the rains.

Word is that they'll be shutting the water off soon. Don't know if that is the whole city or just our area.

Stay safe @strantor

For those who want to see rainfall totals, water levels etc. Just incredible.
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/?View=full

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My friend from Houston said one river was 25 feet above flood stage.

The news said they could break the 48 inch rain record, as they are estimating 50 inches.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
My kid's place is on White Oak Bayou at I10 which is seriously overflowing like all of them. Pix from an hour ago. Water still rising. Just past the remains of the fence is a 4 lane divided street. They now have a car that floated in the front yard. Some concern for the structural integrity of the end units nearest the bayou due to water flow. About a mile from me but I can't get to them. Frustrating.

Attachments