Hurricane Harvey

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Costco on I10 at Bunker Hill had long gas lines and out of bottled water at noon Thurs. Probably a zoo now. Our little neighborhood near I10 and 45 floods on occasion but our hooch has been OK so far. No generator but hopefully no long power outages. We filled the tubs to flush the toilets and have lots of drinking water put aside with camping stuff to cook on if need be. Expensive stuff off the first floor in case it floods. Rainfall estimates up to 30" but over several days so hopefully won't back up too much. City crews were in neighborhoods clearing drainage ditches..

Compared to Dallas' hysterical weather coverage, Houston's seems pretty straightforward. Light, intermittant rain is all so far, as predicted.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My little town floods pretty bad. We had a freak rainstorm a few months ago where we got over 10 inches of rain in one night and there were several houses that needed work after that. Now everybody is freaking out about this storm. I'm not worried about it because we live on flat land outside of town, and our yard turns into a pond but in order for the water to get into our house the whole County would have to be under 12 inches of water.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My little town floods pretty bad. We had a freak rainstorm a few months ago where we got over 10 inches of rain in one night and there were several houses that needed work after that. Now everybody is freaking out about this storm. I'm not worried about it because we live on flat land outside of town, and our yard turns into a pond but in order for the water to get into our house the whole County would have to be under 12 inches of water.
My brother lives just outside of Houston. He has had 2 cars flooded out.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Costco on I10 at Bunker Hill had long gas lines and out of bottled water at noon Thurs. Probably a zoo now. Our little neighborhood near I10 and 45 floods on occasion but our hooch has been OK so far. No generator but hopefully no long power outages. We filled the tubs to flush the toilets and have lots of drinking water put aside with camping stuff to cook on if need be. Expensive stuff off the first floor in case it floods. Rainfall estimates up to 30" but over several days so hopefully won't back up too much. City crews were in neighborhoods clearing drainage ditches..

Compared to Dallas' hysterical weather coverage, Houston's seems pretty straightforward. Light, intermittant rain is all so far, as predicted.

Good thing this is happening over the weekend. Can you imagine people trying to get to wrok in the coming mess? Or worse getting home? My brother was trapped at work at least once. Fortunately he works for a resort. He is probably better off at work than at home. :eek:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
South of houston or?
I'm s/se of houston, SW of galveston, only 15 min from the gulf. The storm eye is supposed to be 175mi away in Corpus Christy.

Yeah know, I don't really know. Never been to his house. He said 80 miles sop guess that is north of Houston.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Screenshot_20170825-203912.png

I'm in that cone. 3rd tornado warning for my area this evening. If you don't hear back from me, well... hopefully it just means I'm getting a new roof.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Here in my part of the woods (the S.F. Bay Area), we don't have hurricanes, but we've got plenty of plate tectonics and earthquakes.

San Francisco is between the San Andreas and the Hayward Faults and the U.S. Geological Survey is warning that either of them could rip at anytime. Even if there are no fatalities, a severe earthquake in an area with about 10 million rats living in a 500 square mile cage would set a world's record for rioting and looting. o_O

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
In less than awesome news, I wasn't able to get the genny running before the tornado warnings started and now the power is out