Hub motor with separately excited rotor and stator configuration

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Then comes the why a hub motor? Why not a system that is like the old Whizzer motors for bicycles? One mounted in the frame and connected to the wheel with a V belt. That would allow a bigger off the shelf motor to be used.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Like I said in post #11, the cogging wouldn't even be felt by most people. And it doesn't effect the pedalling power needed when off if there was a switch to allow the motor leads to float electrically, it would then just be the magnetic cogging.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Presently I am wondering if the gogging effect is real or just anticipated. I have had a set of failed bearings produce a pulsing effect once.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
And keep in mind that the TS is wanting to prevent the cogging with a NON-POWERED motor. Looking again at the initial post, it is not clear just what the application would actually be. Post #8 indicates that it actually is a bike of some form.
Like I said in post #11, the cogging wouldn't even be felt by most people. And it doesn't effect the pedalling power needed when off if there was a switch to allow the motor leads to float electrically, it would then just be the magnetic cogging.
Good observations. I would expect the only perceptible "cogging" that would occur is when the motor is in regenerative braking (if applicable) and then it might feel like ABS in a car, if at all.

Quintos

Joined Mar 7, 2020
Good observations. I would expect the only perceptible "cogging" that would occur is when the motor is in regenerative braking (if applicable) and then it might feel like ABS in a car, if at all.
Tell me this, lets say that a PM motor (BLDC or otherwise) connected to the bike, when the motor is not powered AND the bike is moving, what would happen?
From my understanding, due to the presence of the magnet and the coil cutting the magnet, it would simply act as a generator, the faster you try to pedal, the more electricity is generated. The current being generated is NOT wanted. Hence the mechanical energy that you put is simply being wasted. That is what I want to avoid.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Tell me this, lets say that a PM motor (BLDC or otherwise) connected to the bike, when the motor is not powered AND the bike is moving, what would happen?
From my understanding, due to the presence of the magnet and the coil cutting the magnet, it would simply act as a generator, the faster you try to pedal, the more electricity is generated. The current being generated is NOT wanted. Hence the mechanical energy that you put is simply being wasted. That is what I want to avoid.
The flaw in the logic here is in he presumption that there will be current flowing simply because there is a voltage generated. Current will flow ONLY if there is an external circuit path for it. A poorly designed driver arrangement may have such a path, but not a correctly done driver circuit. While some speed control systems do include arrangements to provide braking, on a bike that would not happen unless braking was commanded, in which case the recovered power would be returned to the battery.
Please realize that if this concern had been correctly stated in post #1 this question could have been resolved much sooner. The effect is not even slightly similar to the cogging effect observed in some motors.

Quintos

Joined Mar 7, 2020
The flaw in the logic here is in he presumption that there will be current flowing simply because there is a voltage generated. Current will flow ONLY if there is an external circuit path for it. A poorly designed driver arrangement may have such a path, but not a correctly done driver circuit. While some speed control systems do include arrangements to provide braking, on a bike that would not happen unless braking was commanded, in which case the recovered power would be returned to the battery.
Please realize that if this concern had been correctly stated in post #1 this question could have been resolved much sooner. The effect is not even slightly similar to the cogging effect observed in some motors.
Thanks MisterBill! and Forgive my english, I had two observations, and this was the second one which I wanted to clear.