HP 546A logic Pulser, HP1230A logic trigger, HP 548 test clip, HP10529A logic comparator

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Are all HP546A logic pulser the same or did they have different versions?

The switch on the Side of the logic pulser is a 4 selector switch
switch position 1.) Ground
switch position 2.) 1 pulse at 100hz
switch position 3.) 1 pulse at 10hz
switch position 4.) 1 pulse at 1 hz

How can the HP logic pulser force a logic signal high or low?

Can the HP logic pulser step pulse one pulse at a time or just continuous pulses?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Did you bother reading the HP Journal I referenced in one of your previous threads?

Manuals are available on the WEB.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
yes it says that the HP pulsar is able to step pulse and also force a logic state to either a High or LOW state. But I don't see the buttons on the HP pulsar that always the technician to do this.

Also when the HP pulsar is forcing a logic state to a high or low , can't this damage the logic chips output internal circuit because it's overloading the output?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Pulse injection is automatic, high nodes are pulsed low and low nodes, high, each time the button is pressed.

output patterns (single pulses; pulse streams of either 1, 10, or 100 Hz; or bursts of 10 or 100 Hz; or bursts of 10 or 100 pulses).
This feature allows you to continually pulse a circuit when necessary, or it also provides an easy means to put an exact number of pulses into counters and shift registers

The only button I see is the ground to pulse pattern button, where is the button that makes it automatic or steps one pulse at a time?

Attachments

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
The HP 548A logic Clip
is 16 binary voltmeters, and the user does not have to shift his eyes away from his circuit to make the readings

the Pulser steps the IC through its truth table

HP 10529A logic Comparator:
comparing the in-circuit test IC with a known good reference IC inserted in the Comparator

A lighted LED corresponds to a logic difference.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
I own a BK DP31A logic pulser probe
I won't let me get one pulse or step pulse, any reasons why?
Also the output is only 10milliseconds

The HP logic pulser 546A has 3 different options 1hz, 10hz , 100hz pulses?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
HP10529A logic Comparator is only for testing TTL chips not CMOS chips?

The REFERENCE IC must be the same type as the IC being Tested

Testing Flip Flops:
1.) The Logic Pulser is used to inject a RESET PULSE into the IC's reset input before testing
OR THE FOLLOWING CIRCUIT

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The only button I see is the ground to pulse pattern button, where is the button that makes it automatic or steps one pulse at a time?
Did you read the manual or look at the label by the switch?

If you press and release the button, you get a single pulse. If you press and hold the button, you get a 100Hz pulse train as long as the button is pressed. If you press the button briefly and then press and hold, you'll get a burst of 100Hz pulses as long as you hold the button.

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
So the HP 546A can only output a 100hz pulse train?

Why is my BK DP31A logic pulser probe outputs 10millisecond pulse train?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
HP10529A logic Comparator is only for testing TTL chips not CMOS chips?
Did you read the manual? It says the max voltage for the comparator is 7V and that the loading on the IC being tested is 3 LP TTL loads on inputs and 2 LP TTL loads on outputs. If your CMOS chip can function with those loads and is operating at VCC of 7V or less, you could use the comparator... Sometimes you have to read between the lines...

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
it says the HP546A can output a pulse either at 1hz ( 1000 milliseconds ), 10hz (100mSec) or 100hz ( 10 milliseconds ) right?

My BK DP31A only outputs at 10 millisecond pulse. why not at 1hz, 10hz or 100hz? is it because cmos logic wants 10 millisecond pulses and it won't work with 1hz,10hz or 100hz pulses?

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Can the HP10529A logic Comparator be used to test IC chips when the circuit board is turned off. So I can use a huntron to test the in-circuit suspected IC chip compared to the same IC chip in the HP logic comparator. I will be using a huntron 2000 or 2500 to compare each IC pin signatures.

The HP10529A has buffers so you can put a "reference IC chip" in parallel , plus there is not loading effects each IC chip. So i will be able to compare each IC pins signature using a huntron when the board is turned off? this beats unsoldering one IC chip at a time to find out there was nothing wrong with it

SamEricson

Joined Apr 25, 2015
Is there another way of "forcing" a logic state but using a external buffer IC tied to +5 volts or ground to change the logic state. I have seen technicians forcing logic states but just shorting direct to +VCC or to ground but it damages the previous stage IC's output. I would have to use a IC buffer right?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is there another way of "forcing" a logic state but using a external buffer IC tied to +5 volts or ground to change the logic state. I have seen technicians forcing logic states but just shorting direct to +VCC or to ground but it damages the previous stage IC's output. I would have to use a IC buffer right?
You can use the same method employed by the HP546A. You overdrive the node with a pulse that won't damage the driver on that net. The HP546A senses whether it's driving TTL or CMOS and adjusts the overdrive parameters accordingly.

If you bothered to read the HP Journal I referenced in one of your posts, you would have the details.