How would you solder this?

mr1001nights

Joined Jun 6, 2017
So one of the cables in my desktop CNC (Nomad 883) tore. So I bought my 1st soldering iron from Amazon (Jajaplus 17 in1) to fix it. I watched a few youtube vids and practiced stripping and soldering 2 small wires I had around, and it was fine. However, what I have to repair only has 1 longer wire, and it is hard to keep it in that hole and make a good connection, especially while having to put any pressure with the tip to melt the wire. I'm using the smallest tip from the kit. Any tips or suggestions? Also, once it is soldered back together, can I use some DAP contact cement gel in that area to make sure it doesn't tear again the future? Thanks

IMG_7530.JPG

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Thanks, my friend is not a soldering newbie like me and says he could do it. But recrimping would be cleaner right?
It's not a question of being able to do it. If it was soldered, it would simply fail again within a couple of useages (especially if the connector moves). A crimped connection is far superior to a soldered connection.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You need to remove the pin, clean out the old broken wires. You can solder or crimp, which ever gives you the best connection on a "pull" test.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Definitely do not use the smallest tip! That is a big mistake a lot of people make. Small tips have very little use as they cannot deliver enough heat to the work. Soldering wires like that needs a bigger tip, but that does not mean a really high temperature. It just means the tip will retain its heat and not be cooled by the work. A length of wire like that is a good heatsink.
Looking at the Amazon picture, I'd use the middle tip.
It looks like those plastic tabs can be carefully bent away from the body a little and the contact slid out.Then if you can, open up the crimp and take the old wire out. Insert new wire and re crimp and/or solder it.

mr1001nights

Joined Jun 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The Nomad technical support guy told me that he didn't know what crimp connectors those are, so suggested that I simply add a little goop of solder to the connector, which is the same thing that takao had said, and then to twist and tin the cable & solder it to the connector. My very 1st job ever. It was messy. Not sure if the solder went deep enough inside the hole and if it's going to work. I'll check if the connection works in a bit, after I've secured it w some tape, glue or something. I'd need to add a strain relief too.

IMG_7531.JPG IMG_7533.JPG IMG_7535.JPG

Last edited:

mr1001nights

Joined Jun 6, 2017
Fixed! It works!!! pffuiii I feel relieved. I added some contact cement, connected it to the motor, and made a cable strain relief out of gorilla tape

IMG_7537.JPG IMG_7543.JPG