How to work with GPS-123 LCR meter

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
Hello everyone
I dispersed some capacitors and inductors from a board and using GPS-123 LCR meter to measurement those but when i try to measurement a 3.3 uf capacitor it shows about 2.9 uf and likewise try with 220 uf it shows about 190 uf. I did read its manual and tryed to calibrate it but don't solved.
However i think that i don't know how to setting its parameters to measure correctly.
Can any one help me to this way???

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What are the tolerance limits on those capacitors? +/- 20% or more is not uncommon. What's the "accuracy" of your meter?

Edit: I understand, "I dispersed some capacitors and inductors from a board" to mean you removed them from a PCB and are testing them out of circuit. If that is not the case, then you must remove them to get an accurate reading.

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
What is the tolerances of the caps that you measured? Do you have a calibrated cap that you can cal your meter with?

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
What are the tolerance limits on those capacitors? +/- 20% or more is not uncommon. What's the "accuracy" of your meter?

Edit: I understand, "I dispersed some capacitors and inductors from a board" to mean you removed them from a PCB and are testing them out of circuit. If that is not the case, then you must remove them to get an accurate reading.
The some of capacitors are SMD and i can not to find any details about those. I unfamiliar with meter and can not find any think about "accuracy" in its manual.

Yes, your guess is true,I removed those from a PCB.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I unfamiliar with meter and can not find any think about "accuracy" in its manual.
According to the manual, the accuracies are as follows:

Resistance measuring accuracy ± (1% + 3 digits)

Capacitance measuring accuracy ± (0,7% + 5 digits)

Inductance measuring accuracy ± (0,7% + 5 digits)

daryooosh

Joined Jun 15, 2019
2.9 is within 20% of 3.3 = no problem (acceptable range = 2.64 to 3.96)
190 is within 20% of 220 = no problem (acceptable range = 176 to 264)
Thanks
I have some unknown SMD capacitors, reading value associated to one of that is 19.136 uf, What standard value is suitable for its?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks
I have some unknown SMD capacitors, reading value associated to one of that is 19.136 uf, What standard value is suitable for its?
You need to read and learn about precision and significant digits (high school for my generation). That is beyond what I am willing to write about here.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
OP I have a cheapish Mastech LCR meter, my 1st, and I found that just start using it a bit and you'll just start to trust it and get a feel for it. The charts that are used aren't that specific, you have to estimate some for different voltages/capacitance ratings.
As for SMD ESR, I haven't found out yet what is good/bad, but after checking a 3-4 dozen now, and writing it down, I can at least is the ones that don't fit.