How to wind air core inductor and avoid decoiling (unwinding)

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I have a problem of doing this and in fact the distance between the coiling are stretched instead of getting close together...i wind it by hand on a piece of smooth shiny steel..Is there anyone with the best technique how to wind the air core inductor and avoid decoiling.

I understand there are some videos using glue to prevent it from stretching and keep it close together but i am afraid it will also stick to the metal where ti winding is done and as a result i cannot remove it properly

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It would help to know some of the details of your coil: diameter, length, wire size, number of turns, and so forth. Without more information, it's hard to recommend a particular method.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you wind it on a piece of steel it is no longer an AIR CORE Inductor!
Steel is mostly iron and is ferromagnetic.
Wind it on a piece of PVC pipe or a wooden dowel.
I hope you are using enamel coated magnet wire instead of bare copper.

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
It would help to know some of the details of your coil: diameter, length, wire size, number of turns, and so forth. Without more information, it's hard to recommend a particular method.
the steel is just a place where i need to wind the coil...its diameter is only around 4 mm..i need to achieve around 60 turns only..wire size is standard small one. those use in the RF construction

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I think if I were making a coil that small, I'd probably look around for some sort of plastic bobbin to wind it on rather than a piece of steel rod. I don't know where you are or what local sources you have available, but I'm thinking something like these bobbins I found on Amazon.com.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I have a problem of doing this and in fact the distance between the coiling are stretched instead of getting close together...i wind it by hand on a piece of smooth shiny steel..Is there anyone with the best technique how to wind the air core inductor and avoid decoiling.

I understand there are some videos using glue to prevent it from stretching and keep it close together but i am afraid it will also stick to the metal where ti winding is done and as a result i cannot remove it properly

http://www.surplussales.com/inductors/Ind-SlugTu/Ind-SlugTu-4.html

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
the steel is just a place where i need to wind the coil...its diameter is only around 4 mm..i need to achieve around 60 turns only..wire size is standard small one. those use in the RF construction
You must wind your inductors on a non conductive form. There is no way to maintain the consistency of the properties otherwise.
Is the "standard small one" wire size insulated or bare?
BTW, bare is the WRONG answer.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You must wind your inductors on a non conductive form. There is no way to maintain the consistency of the properties otherwise.
Is the "standard small one" wire size insulated or bare?
BTW, bare is the WRONG answer.
Please go by some AWG #28 Magnet Wire to wind your coils. You'll be much happier with the results.