How to use toroid transformer.

Mr.Alan

Joined Aug 15, 2016
I got a aduio toroid transformer. The transformer has 6 cables Red,green,blue,brown and 2 yellow cables. I want to know what to do with the cables and how to use the transformer. I just startled with electronics and im intrested in aduio so it would be good if you can send a totorial on aduio electronics.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I got a aduio toroid transformer. The transformer has 6 cables Red,green,blue,brown and 2 yellow cables. I want to know what to do with the cables and how to use the transformer. I just startled with electronics and im intrested in aduio so it would be good if you can send a totorial on aduio electronics.
Can't help - my crystal ball is in the shop...........................

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you mean an audio transformer. So that would be an audio output transformer or is it a power supply transformer from an audio amplifier?. Unfortunately there are millions of different transformers out there and they aren't defined by the colours of the wires sticking out of them.

There is no such thing as a totorial/tutorial on audio electronics; it's quite a big subject and if you've done any research at all you will already know this.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The yellow wires are obviously very different from the other two pairs. First guess: power goes in the yellow wires and you have two equal and separate output windings of low voltage and high current.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Sure looks like a power transformer. I'd guess the thin yellow wire pair is the mains-input primary winding and each thicker twisted-wire pair is a respective secondary winding. As for the ratings of the windings it's anyone's guess.

Edit: #12 beat me to it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Measure resistance to see if they are separate pairs, by the apparent gauge of the larger conductors, they would be secondaries if a mains Txfmr.
Max.

Mr.Alan

Joined Aug 15, 2016
The yellow wires are obviously very different from the other two pairs. First guess: power goes in the yellow wires and you have two equal and separate output windings of low voltage and high current.

Its scary becuase it says that 230 volts is going in to the yellow wires and the yellow wires are super thin.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds more like a mains transformer with the standard colour of Blue & Brown as power?
If the two yellow show shorted then they could be a thermal sensor?
Max.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
I agree with Max. Primary in on the blue and brown, output on red and green.
I am going to guess that the yellow is a aux winding that will give a lower voltage.

Have fun.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I agree with Max. Primary in on the blue and brown, output on red and green.
I am going to guess that the yellow is a aux winding that will give a lower voltage.
Yes, we need to confirm who/what is that says it is a Audio transformer?
If there is data on the transformer, lets see it.
Max.

Mr.Alan

Joined Aug 15, 2016
found new information it says that yellow is 230V input and the green/red are 2x15v and the blue/brown is 300v