How To Use This Meter?

Pjam

Joined Apr 25, 2016
First I should say Hi to everyone here and also warn you, I don't have a clue what I doing, I'm probably dangerous to myself and others! heheh
But, I'd love to use this somehow. Ideally in a box / domestic bulb / dimmer arrangement.
It was designed many years ago in a very non-domestic situation. It was in a UK railway switch room (600V I think!)
Anyway, how can I use it in a way that'll make that needle swing? Is there any practical way? It is a beauty I think.

Ammeter brighter.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Its an AC ammeter, you will need to remove the shunt wire and diodes inside, and you can use it as a simple voltmeter or other range ammeter by altering the shunt resistance.

Last edited:

Pjam

Joined Apr 25, 2016
Ah !

Shunt wire Dave? Can you tell me any more? what am I looking for? Imagine you talking to a 5 year old hahah

Maybe I should get a photo of the guts :confused:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
First I should say Hi to everyone here and also warn you, I don't have a clue what I doing, I'm probably dangerous to myself and others! heheh
But, I'd love to use this somehow. Ideally in a box / domestic bulb / dimmer arrangement.
It was designed many years ago in a very non-domestic situation. It was in a UK railway switch room (600V I think!)
Anyway, how can I use it in a way that'll make that needle swing? Is there any practical way? It is a beauty I think.

View attachment 104966
I believe that might be a thermocouple ammeter...if so you do NOT want to modify it....it's far too valuable in its native state. If you have an HF transmitter and a dummy load, you can see if it reads with RF excitation.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Help!!!! stop!!!!!! antique do not modify keep as is. should be in a museum.
The coil will, when current flow, move the L shape part connected to the arm.
Size of coil number of windings will define reading.
Please promise the whole world that you keep this as is.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
That is a moving iron ammeter that measures RMS DC or AC.
You don't see too many of those.
I would suggest you donate it to a school that teaches physics.
You should also document it by taking lots of photographs.

Pjam

Joined Apr 25, 2016
Help!!!! stop!!!!!! antique
Please promise the whole world that you keep this as is.
:) Hahhah. OK I promise. Just to really show off I have a pair of these!

That is a moving iron ammeter that measures RMS DC or AC.
You don't see too many of those.
Must say, even without knowing much about the thing, it is impressive ....... does it have any sale value?

Pjam

Joined Apr 25, 2016
Thanks to everyone for the good advice.
I did a little research, EEC was right there at the beginning of electrification of trams and railway! Amazing.

Pjam

Joined Apr 25, 2016
It looks like a moving iron meter driven via a 5A current transformer. feeding it with 5A ac should get it moving.
Thanks Prof. If you think this might work then I should take a closer look ......... hmmmmm a 5A current transformer. What kinda thing did you have in mind?