How to use logic analyzer

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I have a logic analyzer like that, and it's very easy to use. I got the interface program from Saleae to view the output. I don't understand what you'd ever do with the USB to TTL interface; that would have a different purpose.

MTech1

Joined Feb 15, 2023
I got the interface program from Saleae to view the output
I downloaded Pulseview and Saleae on my window laptop.

Which interface program do you use?

Also, could you share what do you connect to the port pins of the analyzer? Thanks

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I missed the USB to TTL part in the original post. It's going to work like a standard serial port so there are a number of ways of using it. You could write a custom program, use Putty, or whatever terminal program you have. If you plan on just using it to print out debugging information from your project then a terminal program or Putty is the easiest.

MTech1

Joined Feb 15, 2023
Initially, I wanted to view the waveform of a signal on laptop using an analyzer. So, I decided it would be more efficient to input commands through the terminal, which would then be converted via USB to TTL converter and connected to the analyzer pins for analysis.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
What you connect to the logic analyzer is what you want to look at over time, like an oscilloscope. Except the analyzer has 8 channels and the inputs have to be digital only. You can set the scan rate for a certain number of samples per second, and then it stores all 8 channels at that rate. You can view the data at any magnification you want, so you can see all the transitions and how they relate to each other.

Here's a capture of the Saleae program's Help screen:

Attachments

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Initially, I wanted to view the waveform of a signal on laptop using an analyzer. So, I decided it would be more efficient to input commands through the terminal, which would then be converted via USB to TTL converter and connected to the analyzer pins for analysis.
Take the time to read to the Pulseview documentation several times. Pulseview is a very good platform that requires just some investment of time and effort to make it shine using decoders.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/logic-probe-for-can-bus.192771/post-1844883