How to use IP's

saad017

Joined Apr 19, 2021
Hello, can anyone tell me how to use fixed point and also floating point adder, multiplier and divider IP's in Vivado 2020.1, I want to use these IP's in my project work. Can anyone guide me in detail please? And by the way I am using Verilog in Vivado.

Thank You

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello, can anyone tell me how to use fixed point and also floating point adder, multiplier and divider IP's in Vivado 2020.1, I want to use these IP's in my project work. Can anyone guide me in detail please? And by the way I am using Verilog in Vivado.

Thank You
I think you're confused beyond what IP means in this context or you're pretending to be confused.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just for the sake of clarity, does IP stand for Intellectual Property. In this context I take it to mean the design in Verilog or other hardware description language of functional units which can be used in a design to synthesize the required functions. I think it would be nearly impossible to deal with that question unless there was more information and that information may or may not be readily available unless the owner of the IP has been appropriately compensated. All of these details are unknown from your post. Can you elaborate at all?

saad017

Joined Apr 19, 2021
Just for the sake of clarity, does IP stand for Intellectual Property. In this context I take it to mean the design in Verilog or other hardware description language of functional units which can be used in a design to synthesize the required functions. I think it would be nearly impossible to deal with that question unless there was more information and that information may or may not be readily available unless the owner of the IP has been appropriately compensated. All of these details are unknown from your post. Can you elaborate at all?
Yes, actually I am using HDL language verilog in software known as vivado and IP means intellectual property, I want to use fixed point adder because it is not able to give the output values in decimal point

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes, actually I am using HDL language verilog in software known as vivado and IP means intellectual property, I want to use fixed point adder because it is not able to give the output values in decimal point
OK, so a fixed point adder is just the same thing as an integer adder. You can place the binary point between any two bits in the adder. If we are dealing with integers the binary point is to the right of the least significant bit. If we are dealing with numbers between 0 an 1, then the binary point is to the left of the most significant bit. In practice you can place it anywhere that it is convenient.

So what IP are we talking about and what kind of help do you need to use it?

saad017

Joined Apr 19, 2021
OK, so a fixed point adder is just the same thing as an integer adder. You can place the binary point between any two bits in the adder. If we are dealing with integers the binary point is to the right of the least significant bit. If we are dealing with numbers between 0 an 1, then the binary point is to the left of the most significant bit. In practice you can place it anywhere that it is convenient.

So what IP are we talking about and what kind of help do you need to use it?
Yes I know how it works, but actually I am making one filter and trying to port that on hardware using verilog hdl language, so the output of that filter is decimal values but in hardware it won't give output in decimal value instead it round the values like for example:3.75 to 4 like that, so what I need is the output what I am getting is should be in decimal values and I know it is possible by using floating or fixed points I guess if I am not wrong.

saad017

Joined Apr 19, 2021
Yes I know how it works, but actually I am making one filter and trying to port that on hardware using verilog hdl language, so the output of that filter is decimal values but in hardware it won't give output in decimal value instead it round the values like for example:3.75 to 4 like that, so what I need is the output what I am getting is should be in decimal values and I know it is possible by using floating or fixed points I guess if I am not wrong.
So if yes, then my question is how to use fixed point ip in vivado using verilog.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In practice there are two possible approaches that I can see:
  1. You can build a decimal adder. The was not generally a viable path in the days before the FPGA. Now it is something to consider
  2. You can use a binary adder, along with conversion hardware that converts decimal to binary on input and binary to decimal on output. This has always been the traditional way to do things.
I still don't know anything about the IP you are talking about.

saad017

Joined Apr 19, 2021
In practice there are two possible approaches that I can see:
  1. You can build a decimal adder. The was not generally a viable path in the days before the FPGA. Now it is something to consider
  2. You can use a binary adder, along with conversion hardware that converts decimal to binary on input and binary to decimal on output. This has always been the traditional way to do things.
I still don't know anything about the IP you are talking about.
Ok thank you