how to use a universal programmer

e-craz-e

Joined Dec 14, 2011
Pals,
I am very new to this field. Seeing my interest:), I got a universal programmer and other electronic material from a known person. Unfortunately I could not get in contact with him later. The universal programmer is of UC MICROSYS make and UNIPRO 110U model. I have tried it using, but not succeed. Can any one help me please? :rolleyes: I like to know how to program a micro controller or pic.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I hate to say it, but universal programmers mostly aren't.

Get a PICKit 2 if you are going to play with PICs.

Though there's a chance yours might work, does it have a ZIF socket, a CD and a manual?

Most people who try out microcontrollers end up giving up since they can't get their programmer to work. Getting a PICKit 2 or PICKit 3 solves tons of "startup issues".

e-craz-e

Joined Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the info. But I already have all that stuff. Let me give the clear picture of what I have done.
After installation of the software downloaded from the website, I connected the programmer with system through USB. Then clicked on the icon for the software. From the SELECT I chose AT89c51. I clicked on the edit buffer, enter all the code of the porgram I wrote. Then clicked on the PROGRAM. Nothing happened.
I would like to know
-- whether the programmer is working or not.
-- if it is working how to identify its working/ non-working conditions.
-- how to program the ICs or PICs.
-- how to program in assembly language or C language.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You'll need an assembler or compiler for your controller.

MPLAB is a free assembler/debugger/profiler for PICs
MikroC and BoostC is common for PIC users, though Microchip C (formerly Hi-Tech) is gaining a bit of ground.

gcc supports several Atmel processors
gpasm supports Atmel assembly for the same processors.
There are also IDE's available for the Arduino and AVR Studio for AVRs in C/asm

Microchip / PIC tools do not work with Atmel AVR devices, and AVR tools do not work with PIC devices.

Once your code is compiled and linked, you'll have a .bin or .hex file, and that is what you load into the programmer to write("burn") to the uC.

e-craz-e

Joined Dec 14, 2011
Hi,
This programmer has a ZIF socket. CD is there but of not readable. Manual is not there. From the company website www.ucmicrosys.com I could download the software but not able to program. Hence this query.