How to transmit power and analog signal on a single line

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
Hi all ,
I want to power the sensor with 5V DC and also transmit analog signal from sensor in just one single line . Do you have any idea about electronics circuits to do that . Thank you.

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
You can do it but why do you want to do it?
Because of the limitted space and requirement of system, I log up the sensor tool inside Oil Well and I just have only one cable to both power the accelerometer sensor and transmit analog signal. I try to search some electronics circuit to do that but It seems very hard to understand. Thank for your support

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If the signal is AC then it can be separated from the DC power with a capacitor and an inductor.
Can you give us details on the signal level, frequency range, and DC power required?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A single small wire will not last 30-seconds around an Oil-Well.

And No, You can't use just one-Wire in an extremely harsh environment,
You will need 3-Wires, minimum, and 4 would be better.

Are You talking about actually putting a Sensor down in the Oil-Well-Hole ?,
that's not going to be very successful.

What does the Accelerometer measure ?

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
If the signal is AC then it can be separated from the DC power with a capacitor and an inductor.
Can you give us details on the signal level, frequency range, and DC power required?
To power the sensor I just need only 5V DC, the analog signal to transmit up to the surface is around 0-0.6V , I have not measure the frequency of this analog signal but if this signal has a fixed frequecny We can filter out this analog signal with DC power so the surface system can recognize whether this signal is data or power signal ??

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
A single small wire will not last 30-seconds around an Oil-Well.

And No, You can't use just one-Wire in an extremely harsh environment,
You will need 3-Wires, minimum, and 4 would be better.

Are You talking about actually putting a Sensor down in the Oil-Well-Hole ?,
that's not going to be very successful.

What does the Accelerometer measure ?
We use a Logging system to log a sensor signal in an Oil-Well and It was very successful but We just buy this logging system and We really don't understand How this system works to transmit both power and analog signal on a single line

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We use a Logging system to log a sensor signal in an Oil-Well and It was very successful but We just buy this logging system and We really don't understand How this system works to transmit both power and analog signal on a single line
So, you're trying to understand a existing product.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
We really don't understand How this system works to transmit both power and analog signal on a single line
I take it "a single line" is not just one wire. A single wire cannot work. Can you supply some actual info, like the data of the sensor and the monitoring device. A circuit would help. It really makes it very hard to answer your question whith the non ifo you have supplied so far..
Here is an explanation of 4-20mA if that is any help.
https://www.instrumentationtoolbox.com/2012/03/basics-of-4-20ma-current-loop.html

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
I take it "a single line" is not just one wire. A single wire cannot work. Can you supply some actual info, like the data of the sensor and the monitoring device. A circuit would help. It really makes it very hard to answer your question whith the non ifo you have supplied so far..
Here is an explanation of 4-20mA if that is any help.
https://www.instrumentationtoolbox.com/2012/03/basics-of-4-20ma-current-loop.html
Thank for your support, my sensor is ADXL 345 accelerometer sensor and it can not output 4-20mA signal . I can provide you with some information, I use a long wire 6000-7000m to receive signal from sensor , I did it successfully with 3 wire .
2 wire to tranmist power , 1 wire to receive data signal . Now I want to just only use 1 wire, I supply 5V DC on one wire and also receive data signal on this wire

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
As far as I can see, the ADXL 345 accelerometer cannot work on its own so the board must have a processor as well.
1677035759367.png
As mentioned a few times, you cannot just use one wire. Do you mean 1 wire and the pipe as the other? There must be 2 "wires" at least, always!

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
As far as I can see, the ADXL 345 accelerometer cannot work on its own so the board must have a processor as well.
As mentioned a few times, you cannot just use one wire. Do you mean 1 wire and the pipe as the other? There must be 2 "wires" at least, always!
one wire to both power and transmit signal the other wire is ground

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
one wire to both power and transmit signal the other wire is ground
That is better! 2 wires, not 1.
The ADXL 345 does not output an analog signal, but a is read by a processor to produce the data stream to send back. What is the 0-.6V signal you mention?
There should be data to show each axis of vibration, A string of numbers.
Do you have a data sheet of the actual sensor available?

datdang

Joined Feb 21, 2023
That is better! 2 wires, not 1.
The ADXL 345 does not output an analog signal, but a is read by a processor to produce the data stream to send back. What is the 0-.6V signal you mention?
There should be data to show each axis of vibration, A string of numbers.
Do you have a data sheet of the actual sensor available?
Sorry it is my mistake, it not ADXl345 ,it is ADXL 354 which output X, Y, Z analog Signal and I measured this signal that was around 0-0.6 V

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You may be able to do something like this...
1677036843963.png
As long as the sensor draws less that 4mA, and the circuit calibrated correctly, the 0-.6V from the sensor produces a 4 to 20mA signal. 4-20mA is an indrusty standard with 4mA = 0% and 20mA = 100%. A bonus will be signals less than 4mA and greater than 20mA will indicate an error.
A 4-20Ma signal can be used over quit a long distance too. We have sent the same over a few Km quite well.
This is an well used basic circuit.