How to test whether designed power circuit on board is robust or not

Saiteja chinthalapati

Joined Oct 25, 2018
How to test whether designed power circuit on board is robust or not. How to test real time cases like high voltage or noise or spikes etc... conditions in house

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You have not said what your supply ratings are.
A couple of thing you can try..
Set up a contactor or big relay as a "buzzer" running on your power supply. That will inject lots of spikes.
Also, use head light globes as loads. They draw large currents when cold.

Saiteja chinthalapati

Joined Oct 25, 2018
You have not said what your supply ratings are.
A couple of thing you can try..
Set up a contactor or big relay as a "buzzer" running on your power supply. That will inject lots of spikes.
Also, use head light globes as loads. They draw large currents when cold.
i don't know much about the contactor but if i put contactor the output is very less which i can't drive to the 48v input. if i am wrong please let me know its good if you give me the block diagram of connection

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
So you want to build a noise or spikes generator from 230V (Vac?) to test a 48V (Vdc?) circuit, is that right?
Does the noise or spikes generator generates a 230Vac or 48Vac ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want to know precisely what the power supply input will tolerate, then you will need a high voltage pulse generate to inject an adjustable and known value of spike voltage.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
These are the primary test methods that are used to validate line powered hardware.
Electrical Fast Transient EFT testing
Surge Testing
Conducted Susceptibility

A lot can be done with analysis too. These analyses can find weaknesses in a design before actually building hardware and are much cheaper in both time and cost.
Part Stress Analysis
Worst Case Analysis
Functional Failure Mode and Effect Analysis
Power Dissipation Analysis (this involves working with mechanical software to determine maximum part temperatures)
Stability Analysis
Signal Integrity Analysis

Saiteja chinthalapati

Joined Oct 25, 2018
These are the primary test methods that are used to validate line powered hardware.
Surge Testing
Conducted Susceptibility

A lot can be done with analysis too. These analyses can find weaknesses in a design before actually building hardware and are much cheaper in both time and cost.
Part Stress Analysis
Worst Case Analysis
Power Dissipation Analysis (this involves working with mechanical software to determine maximum part temperatures)
Stability Analysis
Thank you

Saiteja chinthalapati

Joined Oct 25, 2018
Surge Testing
Conducted Susceptibility

Part Stress Analysis
Worst Case Analysis
Stability Analysis
please send links of equipments which are cost effective