How to test this?

evios

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Hey guys, I just implemented this project by bhabbott on watt meter.
I'd built it and I tried to test it. Well, at the start up, I manage to get some characters appear on my LCD. Then I tried to connect a resistors across the LOAD+ and LOAD-. It seems nothing much change on the LCD. Anyone know how to test it? I'd asked the author but somehow he seems he is on a vacation maybe. Thanks if can help. :)

[The Link]

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There is very little comment over there.
From the sourcecode you can see what the buttons should do.

page button (S3)
hold button (S2)
blades button (S1)

Greetings,
Bertus

evios

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Schematic has an error: uses pin 16 as reset pin where Pic16F88 has the reset pin at pin 4. Remove 10K pullup resitor from pin 16 and connect it to pin 4 (remove ground before and ground pin 16).

At present you have the micro resetted with pin 4 to ground. In this way pic will not work.

Alberto
OK.. I'll keep track on that.
Erm..may I have some concept here? If a schematic has been built with LCD being displayed, it supposed works well isnt it? :confused:

And, i uses 1 Ohm of shunt resistor instead of 1 mili. Can anyone suggest a suitable materials that can be used as a load? Thanks.

P/S: I am using a 9V battery.:D

evios

Joined Nov 9, 2008
I see, so a 51mA cant show a 9A reading.
OK, thanks.

Erm.... I have one thing which is confusing here, 4 data buses connected to the LCD, which two are used to control LCD and which two are the one actually sending the value? ;)

Thanks again.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Schematic has an error: uses pin 16 as reset pin where Pic16F88 has the reset pin at pin 4. Remove 10K pullup resitor from pin 16 and connect it to pin 4 (remove ground before and ground pin 16).

At present you have the micro resetted with pin 4 to ground. In this way pic will not work.

Alberto
I thought the author has disabled the PIC external reset pin in the configuration.

source_code said:
Rich (BB code):
 __config _CONFIG1,_BODEN_OFF&_WDT_OFF&_LVP_OFF&_MCLR_OFF&_PWRTE_ON&_INTRC_IO

evios

Joined Nov 9, 2008
OK, so the RESET button is being disabled. Thanks.
And now it is working. I tried to get the output of the meter to the RF module via digital IO.
I get this:

Em....I curious why am i getting this ... get any experts guide me? Thanks a lot.
(The RF input when detected any changes on the meter output, it will starts getting data. It is same like getting it via Hyperterminal.)

evios

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Well, I am using the schematic diagram of the link shown below for the watt meter.

[Watt Meter schematic]

And the ASM programming below:

[Coding]

And the XBee I am using having the pins as shown below:

I know DI3 using serial input, so i tried to avoid that. Instead I am using the digital IO. I am trying to connect like this as my first attempt:

I am testing on one input first. If you know, I use the AT command as follow:

+++OK
ATD1=3 'input at pin 19
ATIC=2 'Send on DI1 changes
ATAC 'applied

First, it keeps on sending data. After a while, when i connected the Load, then only it will sending data.